Dry Hopping yay/nay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
So i am cloning the Victory Hop Devil IPA this month. The brew is in the primary (has been for around 6 days) and it calls for dry hopping pretty soon. Since (due to lack of funding, closet space, and sheer floor space) i don't own a proper secondary fermenter, i plan on dry hopping in the primary over the weekend. The recipe calls for 1/2 oz of cascades for the dry hopping. I like my beers a bit more hoppy than a normal person and was planning on using the 1.5 oz of cascade plugs i have left over from the package to accomplish the dry hopping for this recipe. Does anyone have any warnings to dish out before i do this? I am assuming that since the volume of the batch is a little over 5 gallons, the extra ounce of cascades isn't going to overpower the batch, just add some additional pleasant aroma.

Warnings, suggestions, screams welcome.

I guess ill also throw in that i have the same amount of goldings hops left over from the batch and was wondering if those would accomplish anything if i dry hopped a second time with those.

brewt00l said:
Go for it!
+1
I dry hop in the primary all the time once fermentation is complete (though I usually secondary the beer afterwards). I think 1-2oz is a good amount for dry hopping. My IPA that is about ready to bottle had 2oz of Cascades for 10 days in the primary.

Craig

Back