Accidentally ordered uncrushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
It was only three pounds of my grain bill. I managed to order crushed grains for the base malt. Anyone have suggestions for how I could crush my specialty without a mill??

We once used multiple ziplock bags and a brick. It seemed to work but the grains were for steeping in an extract brew.

I vote rolling pin with the grains in a Ziploc. I imagine it will take some time to crush +/- 10# of grain.

Rolling pin until you decide they are not crushed well enough and then a food processor/blender (on pulse).

Just put a cup at a time in a blender and do 5-6 four second pulses. Use to do it all the time when I did BIAB and my beers turned out fine.

If you can find one, a beer bottle works better than a rolling pin. The grains can be harder than the wood or plastic of the rolling pin.

day_trippr said:
Where are you OP? Maybe you are close to someone with a mill? I'd be happy to crush your grain...

Cheers! ;)

Thank you all. I'm in Silver Spring, Md.

LHBS in Columbia. Call and ask if you can use their grinder. Might be a small fee, but Sundays are usually slow and the people are nice.

masonsjax said:
You wanna come up to Frederick MD I'll crush em for you.

Thank you. Very generous. I found someone in my neighborhood who has one.

Was aboutv to offer the use of mine too. Glad you managed to get it crushed. LHBS's will usually run them through the mill for you, and I have used the beer bottle in a ziplock method (ordered a kit, got it uncrushed when I asked for crushed, got it replaced with crushed, decided to brew with the grains anyway. Did ok.) just make sure you do it a little at a time.

Where are you OP? Maybe you are close to someone with a mill? I'd be happy to crush your grain...

Cheers! ;)

funny you just mentioned the old thread links for this..... @Joshua Hughes ....hope this helps....something else to try would be a partial mash sorta, boil 1.5lb's of the malt, or step it first then, once it's good and gel'd, add the other .5lbs for the enzymes to convert it....

Back