Monster in my cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
2 liter starter of WLP007 + yeast nutrient + Huge RIS @ 64 F = MONSTER.

The blow off tube was getting clogged so I removed the lid and put a piece of tin foil over it. This is what it looked like an hour later.

2012-12-03 15.11.42.jpg

Whoaaaaaaa!!!

Could that be from an infection anyone?

Never seen regular krausening do that especially in ale pail....lots of headspace......

Whoaaaaaaa!!!

Could that be from an infection anyone?

Never seen regular krausening do that especially in ale pail....lots of headspace......

This is less than 20 hours after I pitched the yeast, I have never heard on an infection doing anything like this.

2 liter starter of WLP007 + yeast nutrient + Huge RIS @ 64 F = MONSTER.

The blow off tube was getting clogged so I removed the lid and put a piece of tin foil over it. This is what it looked like an hour later.

Duck & Cover! I always knew them ruskies would go nuclear one day. Just never thought it would be with a beer. (And does anyone else remember thier teachers telling them that your desk would save you from a nuclear strike? Sorry, my age is showing)

"We're going to need a bigger boat"...I mean bucket. I may split mine into two carboys. I've never seen anything like it.

Over night I dropped the temp down, it is at 61 F now and only has about an inch of krausen. Put the lid on and it is bubbling nicely.

Never had an issue using a blowoff tube that it small enough (approx 3/8" OD) to put directly into the stopper of the BB carboy. I guess that is why I like my Better Bottles... I believe carboys focus the krausen into the neck, more efficiently pushing it out the top. This compared to the bucket where some is ejected into the blowoff tube, the rest is focusing pressure on the entire lid and then BAM!

I just finished a 1.108 OG RIS that was fermented cold with WLP099 - The damn thing went bonkers and blew off 3/4 of a gallon of wort by the time it was finished. Can't complain too much... still have an incredibly tasty 12% RIS.

Good luck on the rest of the process!!

Bricks41 said:
Never had an issue using a blowoff tube that it small enough (approx 3/8" OD) to put directly into the stopper of the BB carboy. I guess that is why I like my Better Bottles... I believe carboys focus the krausen into the neck, more efficiently pushing it out the top. This compared to the bucket where some is ejected into the blowoff tube, the rest is focusing pressure on the entire lid and then BAM!

I just finished a 1.108 OG RIS that was fermented cold with WLP099 - The damn thing went bonkers and blew off 3/4 of a gallon of wort by the time it was finished. Can't complain too much... still have an incredibly tasty 12% RIS.

Good luck on the rest of the process!!

The one that I just posted a picture of clogged the small blowoff tube like you are describing and blew the stopper out. I'll admit though that this was the first time I ever had a problem but now I own a 1" blowoff tube.

The one that I just posted a picture of clogged the small blowoff tube like you are describing and blew the stopper out. I'll admit though that this was the first time I ever had a problem but now I own a 1" blowoff tube.

Guess better safe than sorry... lol

I have been thinking of buying some of that 2" tubing (or whatever size is right) to jam down into the carboy opening.

When I get home, I'll have to post a picture of what I am using currently.

NewBrewB said:
I have been thinking of buying some of that 2" tubing (or whatever size is right) to jam down into the carboy opening.

When I get home, I'll have to post a picture of what I am using currently.

1" I.D. Vinyl tubing is what I ended up going with. It fits air tight in the opening of my carboys.

I have 3 words for you...
Russian
Imperial
Stout

This is what it does. It is know for MASSIVE fermentations.

I brewed a batch of RIS a few weeks ago OG was 1.091. I also pulled a second full carboy of second runnings that came out with an OG of 1.046. I started with blow-off on the RIS and I'm glad I did... It was pushing crap out the tube within 4 hours! I put an "s" lock on the second runnings because they were such low OG. Well, the next morning, I checked on it and it had blown the stopper out and puked crap all over the place too! Second runnings did! CRAZY!

Russian imperial stout + WLP007. I'm not at all surprised. That yeast top crops and climbs like crazy. Good luck =)

My 1.107 Belgian Dark Strong went nuts like that, lost at least 1/2 gallon then the fermentation really stalled aroun 1.035....I have since gone to FermCapAT and am getting ready to do another big beer to test it.

Back