What combo of Ball Valves, Bulkheads and Couplings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
For those of you who have installed your own plumbing on your Stainless steel mash tuns and kettles, what combination of fittings did you use?

Here's what I was thinking:

Mash tun

SS ball valve w/ hose barb -> Through wall bulkhead (Northern Brewer #7589) with compression fitting end (welded into keg) -> SS false bottom (Northern Brewer #7524)

Kettle

SS ball valve w/ hose barb -> SS nipple (NB #P026) -> SS coupling (#P025) welded into keg.

Does this sound reasonable?

Maybe this will help you out.

http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/index.htm

This is where I had gotten my fittings from. They were 1/2" 304 stainless. I ordered two of: ball valves, couplings (for thermometer), threaded barbs, 1/2" nipple (threaded on both ends). Worked out great for my keggles. Once you get them you gotta find a welder that can do a good job of welding stainless. After that you'll be itching to brew AG.

I literally just bought my fittings in brass at HD during lunch today and they weer at least that much, most were more. I could have used that link yesterday....

Thanks though, now bookmarked.

Would this site work for a cooler/mash tun conversion? Another post listed out these parts

- 3/8” female barb adapter (Watts A-298)
- 5/8” stainless steel fender washer
- 3/8” MIP x 1-1/2” brass nipple (Watts A-786)
- 5/8” O-ring (preferably heat resistant, if you can find one)
- 3 x 5/8” fender washers
- 3/8” threaded ball valve
- 3/8” male barb adapter (Watts A-294)

This website is a little confusing and terms

Ryan_PA said:
I can take lazy to a new level at times...

I'm the same way, so what I did was just left stuff to go back to HD in my truck with the receipt, then the next time I was there I returned everything. Of course I've got plenty of extra stuff lying around from when I didn't want to even bother with that.

Back