Plum and strawberry apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAPPAR

Reaction score
Going to be making a few small batch ciders. I have about 3 cups of chopped strawberries, 1c blackberries, and about 6 cups of chopped plums freezing right now to break open the cell structure. Will puree and add to my cider. I was wondering if I will preserve more of the fruit taste if I add at the beginning during primary fermentation or if I put it in the secondary? If I put it in the secondary I will have to rack it one extra time to get the cider off, however if I get more of the fruit taste in it I would consider it worth it.

I was thinking a 1 gal batch for the plums and a 64 oz one for the strawberry due to the amount of fruit I had.

If it matters I am using fresh pressed apple juice from the yard with (hopefully) Nottingham yeast (if the local brew store doesn't have that, probably use safeale04 or grand cuvee redstar) and some honey to up the original SG a bit.

Any suggestions on timing to add the fruit?

Back