dealing with infection ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I AM pretty sure i got my first infection. At first i thought it was just a different color bubble on the surface of my wit in the seconday, but now its grown and alittle fuzzy, as well as the white stuff sticks to the side. I smelled it and it still smells like a wit and pretty good. I attribute this to the low alcohol content from a high mash, only 2.6%, and not bottling it once i started noticing the white stuff, its been in the secondary 2 and a half weeks because i havn't had time to bottle. I will be able to get around to bottling it on tuesday. I think since it still smells good i should be able to bottle it without porblems. Do i just need to be careful about not getting the top of the brew into the bottling bucket. THis should be fine right? Any other tips for bottling with an infection?

Hmm maybe i will taste it later, but i am pretty sure the majority of it is okay cuz of the smell. I will eat moldy bread as long as i peel off the blue stuff so im pretty sure it ill be fine as long as i keep it out of the bottles. I was just wondering if there are any special tips for bottling with an infection, ill taste it later when i get home and post a result.

I second tasting it. In my opinion, if you're not tasting your beer at every step along the way, you're making a huge mistake. I taste mine at least once each during the mash, sparge, and boil, and I drink every hydrometer sample.

Just tooka sample tasted fine. Tasted almost waterd down though, almost like corrinder steeped in water but no off flavor. I attribute this to the Low alcohol content. So it should be fine maybe a little carbonation will make it taste more normal.

yea, I agree witht he carbonation. I had a wit that was not infected, but fermeneted around 78-80 for a few hours (before I caught it) it had an extreme aroma/flavor of fruity esters... very fruity. I didn't like it, but bottled it anyway, after a few weeks, get one down to about 40F in the fridge and its is tasting just fine and dandy.

Back