Hefeweizen Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmforbiddendonut

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a hefeweizen, possibly as soon as tomorrow. I was wondering if someone could look over my plans and see what I may need to adjust (the LHBS is down the street so I can run there tomorrow)

Steep:
8oz Dextrine Malt
8oz Crystal 20L

Boil:
6.6# John Bull Wheat DME

Hops:
1 oz Hallertauer leaf hops (4.5%aa if i remember right) 60 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen

I ask because I've seen several using 6-7# of DME (should I get some DME to add to this?) and also using different malts (usually Munich or Vienna). The ingredient list is stuff I purchased a couple weeks ago and stored away intending to brew before that thing called life caught up with me.

Thanks

Looks like a solid hefeweizen recipe. I wouldn't change it. If you've never done one before, I'd stick to this and then see what you like or might change. It it ends up sweeter than you'd like, ditch the crystal, but forr right now I'd say it looks fine.

probaly gonna want some finishing hops 1/2-1 oz hallertau:rockin:
let me know how it turns out i just did one that i bottled today:mug:
but used wlp380

ahh, i messed up my ingredients list, that was supposed to be 6.6# John Bull LME not DME. If i remember correctly that adjusts to 5.28 DME (.8*LME = DME.) Would I be better off w/some DME to adjust it higher (I'm thinking 1# Wheat DME to adjust up)

That's really close to a kit hefe I just brewed (my first actually), so you're probably fine.

It seems everyone in the homebrewing communnity REALLY loves hops, but if you're going for a true Bavarian-style hefe, I'm not sure I'd add any finishing/aroma hops. They're just not very hoppy beers; their aroma comes largely from the compounds made by the yeast during fermentation.

On that note: Lots of people brew these warm, 68-70*F, but a tip I've heard in a couple independent places about fermentation of german hefeweizen is to keep the temperature in the low range of the yeast (62-65*F). Higher than that, and the banana/bubblegum flavors apparently take over the beer. Since this is my first brew, I can't give you personal advice, other than to repeat what I've heard from others who've brewed medal-winning hefes. I can say that even at 62*F, the batch I brewed/pitched Friday night had a nice krausen up by mid-day on Saturday, which has now started to recede a bit, so the yeast appears to have no trouble doing its thing at the lower temperature.

Split the 1 oz. of Hallertau--

3/4 oz. for bittering (60 min)
1/4 oz. for aroma (5 min.)

With the exception of the 8oz Crystal 20L this is identical to a recipe I will be making very soon.

To others, should I add 8oz of Crystal?

Sounds like a nice recipe for a Hefeweizen. In my understanding, and I'm a relatively new brewer, with a Hefe the yeast is what will really make the beer. Give the Wyeast Weihenstaphener yeast a shot.
And yeah, the 8oz of Crystal is nice for the coloring and head retention.

It looks like a good recipe to me, I would add the Hallertau at the end as well. I just brewed one up a week ago with the same yeast. I have used this yeast before and it works out great. I also used 8 oz of crystal malt. Remember, you can always adjust it next time while you are enjoying this one.

Just an update. I brewed the recipe with the hops additions of 3/4oz 60min and 1/4oz 5min. It's been in primary for a week and has finished. OG 1.052, FG 1.010. Used White Labs WLP300. Temperature was at 68 for the first couple of days and has since ramped up to 75 with warmer weather. Has somewhat strong banana notes and the cloves as well. Didn't notice the bubblegum. I'm considering skipping secondary and going straight for bottles after tasting the flat beer. Maybe I need patience...

Nice! Prost! My batch # 2 of hefeweisse is going to disappear just as quickly as batch # 1 did! Sounds like you'll be in the same boat!

Back