Need names of terrible beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Probably_Confused

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My homebrew club is having a Race to the Bottom contest at our next meeting, with a prize being given to the club member who can bring in the worst tasting commercial beer. We'll vote on our selections using a double blind taste test.

Rather than ruin my day by trying a bunch of terrible beer, I'm looking for suggestions from the collective as to which beers I should bring. Miller, Bud, and Coors won't cut it here, I'm looking for truly awful.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If u can find it Crazy Charlies Chili beer. A whole chili pepper does not belong in beer.

Sorry it is a BMC, but I can't honestly imagine a more disgusting "beer" on this planet than this;

budweiser-clamato-chelada.gif

Except maybe the Budlight version of it.

Bud%20Light%20Chelada.jpg

vomit-smiley-31.gif

Does it matter what the condition of the beer is? You could try and find some really old beer that's been sitting a poor environment for long time. For example, my parents have a can of Harley Davidson Beer from the early 80s. I'm sure that was a crap beer to begin with, not to mention how bad it must bee after sitting around for 25 years.

Oooh, I like being a curmudgeon. Since you've disqualified the Great American Macrobrews, I'll submit a few beers that don't have that excuse.

Brooklyn Brewery Monster Ale is pretty raunchy - overpitched fusel oil hell. I hear their bacon beer is also foul, though I have not had the pleasure of tasting it.

Wild Blue Blueberry - tastes like fake fruit extract with greasy notes of diacetyl.

Dogfish Head Sah'tea - My only drain pour in recent memory. Uber-peppery with an overpowering chemical tone (presumably from the juniper) and an aftertaste of stale airplane farts. I think there's an ugly interplay between the rye, juniper, and black tea. Maybe I just don't like sahti.

Old Speckled Hen (bottles, not cans or draft) - If you want to show someone what oxidized hops taste like, give them one of these. Why they insist on selling this stuff in clear bottles is beyond me. Perhaps they get a tax write-off on the money they lose from it. What makes it even worse is that it's a fine beer on tap.

Any of the recent "belgian IPA" brews are bad IMO, though not rising to risible levels of foulness.

You won't win with a lot of beers on this list. I appreciate that some people don't like Blackened Voodoo or Brooklyn Monster Ale or Belgian IPAs, but those beers have their fans.

I'd say something like Green's Discovery, a gluten-free beer.

I'll have to agree with wild blue blueberry being the worst I've had. Couldn't finish it .

The only other beer I've had that got poured down the drain was schell's snowstorm. It's a winter beer, and I think they change their spices yearly, so your experience may vary. Mine tasted like sweaty cherry bandages. Yum!

I would be bringing a leini's product. I think any of them could win. Particular standouts are the honey weiss, and the berry weiss. While summer shandy etc. are aweful too, at least that is what they are trying to be. The honey and berry are just bad beers in there respective styles on top of being bad in general.

Though it's been off the market for 14 years, Sam Adams Triple Bock deserves a dishonorable mention. It tasted like a mix of maple syrup and soy sauce. You can still find bottles of it here and there, because people stashed it away in the hopes that it would improve with age. It didn't.

The #1 worst beer I have ever had was New Glarus - Dancing Man Wheat. I believe I had an "infected batch", I really hope that is the case anyways. This stuff tasted like, what I would imagine, beer filtered in the sun through decomposing compost on a hot summer day, would taste like. I opened 1, forced the 1st drink down. I then walked over dumped my glass and grabbed another bottle and fresh glass just to be sure it was not a "freak bottle". Nope, I spit the 1st taste of the second beer into the sink, dumped the bottle and tossed the rest into the recycling. The worst part is, this flavor has permanently been associated with this beer, so even if this was a "bad batch" I will NEVER try it again...

or

*puts on fireproof suit

* DFH - World Wide Stout. I will catch flak I am sure but the WWS is nasty IMO, raisin and carrot do not belong in beer...I was actually mad I spent $8 on the bottle...what a waste. :mad: IMO this is a love/hate beer with fewer folks on the love side...I would gamble that it would have a strong "dislike" in a blind taste test...

Kasteel Rouge. Was the most horrible thing I ever put in my mouth. Tasted like cherry NyQuil.

Sadly, I disagree. I just had this on tap last night and it was not nearly cough syrup like compared to other cherry beers I have had...I do admit, it is possible that having it on tap changed the flavor slightly. I would not want to drink a 12er of this in 1 night but for an after dinner drink, it is not that bad...I do not think it would win a "worst of"... ;)

Beer30 Light/Ice if you can find it (being that your in MN I bet you could find it since its brewed in WI), its usually around $15 for a 30 pack out the door in MI...

I'm not sure if it would beat Chilada but I bet it would be close...

My top two worst beer experiences were a Leinenkugel berry weiss and SA chocolate bock. Unbelievably bad; fruity pebbles mixed with vomit and coca cola mixed with hersheys syrup.

Someone mentioned SA Cherry Wheat, but have you guys had the Cranberry Lambic before? While I can't definitively say it is worse than that BL Clamato abomination, it is still a really bad beer.

I would agree with Revvy and McGarnigle on this one.

The Clamato has got to be the worst beer ever produced, but it depends on whether or not they consider it cheating, since it doesn't even really resemble or taste like beer. So you'll have to get a ruling on that one.

And the Green's Discover Amber gluten free beer is decidedly hideous. My wife got one one day because she was trying to go gluten free for a while. Saying it tasted like paint thinner is being generous.

Thanks for the tips everyone! There are some definite candidates on this list. I think I'll stay away from the mixes (clamato, chelada, etc) for purity's sake, but I still think I can find a winner/loser.

I'll report back with the winner after the meeting

Worst I've ever had was "Lucky Lager" it's brewed in WA state. Not sure if you can find it in your neck of the woods, but if you can...you will win. Truly awful excuse for beer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Lager

100% agree with this one. Sure it will get you there, but the next day is a killer. Don't get too far from the toilet, and carry and extra set of undies.

Hebrew Jewbelation 12. Most horrible beer I have ever bought. Gotta say the DogfishHead World Wide Stout is a runner up though.

Latest posts

Back