lacing and how to get it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
If anyone here lives in Wisconsin and likes beer, you've probably been to the Great Dane (brewpub). Not only are their beers mighty tasty, they tend to have amazing lacing. Like so there's a line in the glass for every sip you took.

I hear that adding ~2 Tbsp wheat extract can help. Besides that and having extremely clean glasses, what else can be done to improve lacing?

Getting protien in your wort is the key. If doing extract try some malto dextrine and if doing AG then a proper mash should get you there. Using dextrin malts, wheat and anything rich in protien and mashing so as not to strip the protien back out will do it.

Weyerman's Carafoam will pretty much guarante a huge, creamy, thick head that leaves lace down the glass. In a pilsner glass...there will be a 1-3 inch thick pile of foam at the bottom of your glass when you finish the beer. It can literally be scooped out of the glass with a spoon.

The more carbonation you have...the more foam you will get with any beer.

I used to call it the history - you could see if somebody was really ripping into the beers or just sitting on one. The gaps between the lines of history normally got closer towards the end of the evening. It was normal for just three or four lines of history to be found on a pint (especially if my mate from Orkney was in the pub!)
:mug:

You can put all the wheat and gimmicks in the world into your recipe, but the biggest factor in nice lacing is a clean glass. That means absolutely no soap residue. Read up on a "beer clean glass" and you'll soon have nice lacing. ;)

Back