BCS 460 test help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to hook everything up and test out my new toy. I went straight to manual mode and set my temp at 170 to see how it would act. It heated up pretty fast, but once it got to 170, it just kept climbing?? will include a screenshot to let you know. I tried a few different setting but none of them seemed to matter, it was either off or on 100% im sure its something im not doing right...

My set up is very simple just a BIAB so i only have one element to control, with one temp prob.

BCS.jpg

I had read through some of the upgrading threads and it seems a bit troublesome to update, I dont have any processes saved so I dont have to back anything up, I just worry about not being able to find it if I upgrade.

First of all, upgrade the firmware to the new 4.0.1 version.

-BD

Start with a good foundation - therefore upgrading to the latest version. You will not find many supporting 3.x.

Upgrading should be no issue. Mine is set to static IP. After upgrading it will get an IP dynamically, and you will need to use the finder to find it. Then change back to static IP. Alternatively (arguably better), if you know how to configure your router, have DHCP assign a fixed IP based on the MAC address.

Just wondering. Currently I have the BCS connected to a small wireless router TP LInk. the only thing on that network is the Samsung Galaxy View, like a giant tablet.

Should I be on my Home Network instead? or Can I just upload the file from the galaxy? I was under the impression though that hardwiring to the router was not a good idea?

Well, if you cannot access the BCS via a PC or MAC, then you will not be able to upgrade it. You need a TFTP server to handle the upgrade, and I doubt you will have one easily accessible on the Galaxy (but if you do, you can then do it there but then finding the new IP might be tricky as the finder app is PC based). If you can, hardwire it to your home network or tie the TP Link to it. Upgrade, set the IP if static and then return it to its own network.

I can make another Cat 6 cable and run it over there to my switch. Maybe I should be running it that way anyways.

Ok after fighting with worthless Win10 I finally got it updated!!
Wow... it looks totally different from the other one...

couple questions.

1. How do you set boil? I didnt have any trouble setting a Mash temp and holding it, but when I got to boil, it only reach appx 207 and was boiling. I was using Hysterisis mode, maybe that isnt the best mode?

2. Temp Coefficients? The ones that were printed out in the box with my BCS are different than the values listed? Should I change them? I brought my temp gauge to work and will calibrate it here. I was about 2 degrees behind my BCS temp probe. Just calibrated, it was 1.5 low so now its dead on at 150. Surprisingly my Thermapen was 149.9!

3. Since Win 10 is a worthless piece of (&*^! I have no wifi now. I ran a hardline to my router and was able to access it that way. I have a iMac upstairs that I can use that has wifi, but when I went to the site that has the bcs finder, clicking on the mac open just opens a dead link?? I tried the default IP, the old IP and the IP when it was in the router, none of them work? My BCS was on its own mini router before and had no issues connecting to my Samsung View, but Idoubt i can use it to use the BCS finder...

Ok after fighting with worthless Win10 I finally got it updated!!
Wow... it looks totally different from the other one...

couple questions.

1. How do you set boil? I didnt have any trouble setting a Mash temp and holding it, but when I got to boil, it only reach appx 207 and was boiling. I was using Hysterisis mode, maybe that isnt the best mode?

2. Temp Coefficients? The ones that were printed out in the box with my BCS are different than the values listed? Should I change them? I brought my temp gauge to work and will calibrate it here. I was about 2 degrees behind my BCS temp probe. Just calibrated, it was 1.5 low so now its dead on at 150. Surprisingly my Thermapen was 149.9!

3. Since Win 10 is a worthless piece of (&*^! I have no wifi now. I ran a hardline to my router and was able to access it that way. I have a iMac upstairs that I can use that has wifi, but when I went to the site that has the bcs finder, clicking on the mac open just opens a dead link?? I tried the default IP, the old IP and the IP when it was in the router, none of them work? My BCS was on its own mini router before and had no issues connecting to my Samsung View, but Idoubt i can use it to use the BCS finder...

Have you tried logging into your router and checked the clients table? It should list MAC addresses and IP that is assigned to it.

Once it starts to boil, I just set the duty cycle to maintain. 60-70% or so, depending on how vigorous I want it.

Ya regarding the boil, I use hysteresis mode in one state and use an exit condition of the kettle reaching 210 degrees (I am at sea level). The next state is then started and the output mode is duty cycle. Oila, automatic boil. Use some fermcap and a boil over is improbable.

Regarding coeff's, use the ones provided with the probes. They should be pretty accurate out of the box and not require offsets.

Latest posts

Back