Cyser Screw Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StiefelHund

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on a cyser I just started (3.5gal apple juice, 6# honey). I stupidly poured the honey in without heating it up first. Much of it settled to the bottom. I shook the hell out of it and got it all in suspension then had to go to work. I assume it will re-settle though. I'm thinking my options are:

1. Keep gently stiring up the honey.
2. Let it ferment, then rack to secondary and add warmed honey.
3. Just let it ferment and hope for the best.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on a cyser I just started (3.5gal apple juice, 6# honey). I stupidly poured the honey in without heating it up first. Much of it settled to the bottom. I shook the hell out of it and got it all in suspension then had to go to work. I assume it will re-settle though. I'm thinking my options are:

1. Keep gently stiring up the honey.
2. Let it ferment, then rack to secondary and add warmed honey.
3. Just let it ferment and hope for the best.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

In my experience (limited to breadyeast cysers), letting the yeasties lazily munch a millimeter at a time of the pile of honey is the best method. Best of luck.

You don't need to heat honey - In fact you ought not to heat the honey. Honey ain't grain and mead making is not brewing. If you mixed the honey then it won't settle so fast, but anyway, you are fermenting this in a loosely covered bucket and so you planned to stir the mead several times a day during the period of active fermentation? Right? Aeration is not a one off event in wine making. Don't worry, the yeast will find the honey

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention in the original post, I used D-47 yeast, if that matters.

Back