Insulation Jacket for MLT.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
Just got done fashioning together an insulation "jacket" for my keggle MLT.

I have read Bobby_M's MLT insulation thread over a few times, and actually have all the materials to mimic what he did, and I eventually probably will...but I'm brewing Sunday and didn't want to undertake his project in the meantime..this took 1-2 hours and was kind of spur of the moment.

My system is a direct-fire recirculating mash, so that presented problems of how to insulate my keg. I couldn't have reflectix on with the flame going. I had used reflectix a couple times when doing all-grain BIAB, and it was a pain rolling it off and on when I needed to turn the flame on.

So, I went a bought a new roll today and came up with a plan to have 4 layers of reflectix insulating the MLT, while making it super-easy to remove when (hopefully IF) I need to take it off.

I appreciate any feedback and advice you guys have. Also, I hope some of you guys find it helpful!

First thing I did was wrap the Reflectix around the keg 4 times and cut it. Then I put some clamps on it to hold it in place so it could keep its shape when I slide it off the keg.

wrap.JPG

So, where the beginning end, and ending part overlapped I poked holes, and bolted them together with fairly large washers on each side to prevent the bolts from ripping through. I put the flat part of the bolt on the inside, with the nut on the outside, and the bolts I got were just barely long enough.

bolted3.JPG

bolted.JPG

Now, this could be the final step, but with my fittings (outflow ball-valve, inflow ball-valve at the top, and a thermometer) I can't design it where I can simply slide it on and off.

I went to the opposite side and cut all 4 layers straight down the middle..I could have used the same nuts and bolts set-up on this side to attach the layers together, but I opted for aluminum tape.

cut1.JPG

With the tape...

cut3.JPG

So now I have 4 layers all held together as one piece that can open up easily rather than unwrapping 16ft of this stuff. I held it together with some straps that are easily removed when I will need to turn the flame on.

Here is what it looks like, along with a fitted cap I made for it.

complete21.JPG

Tomorrow I'm going to cut the holes for my fittings. I'll post some pics with everything put together after that.

I don't have any info on how it holds temperature yet. But I'm going to Brew on Sunday, so I'll give an update then.

Just and additional thought you could use plastic bolt and nuts for the far side instead of steel to cut down on more losses

Clem

Awesome Stankonia! It's funny, I was going to hit Lowes today for some Reflectix and build something damn near identical... only I was thinking velcro to keep it wrapped tightly around my keggle, rather than the straps. I like the bolts you used... I will def borrow that idea from ya!

Cheers! And happy brewing this weekend! I have a Founders Breakfast Stout clone going bright and early Saturday AM.

:mug:

Just and additional thought you could use plastic bolt and nuts for the far side instead of steel to cut down on more losses

Clem

Yeah, not a bad idea. I don't think the steel bolts will suck up too much heat. I can always patch over them with more reflectix.

Awesome Stankonia! It's funny, I was going to hit Lowes today for some Reflectix and build something damn near identical... only I was thinking velcro to keep it wrapped tightly around my keggle, rather than the straps. I like the bolts you used... I will def borrow that idea from ya!

Cheers! And happy brewing this weekend! I have a Founders Breakfast Stout clone going bright and early Saturday AM.

I thought about using velcro too, but just couldn't find it in Lowes, so just grabbed these bunjee cords. Some velcro straps would be better since you would be able to pull them tighter where as with the cords you're stuck with how they fit and not able to adjust them.

Post some pics!

It seems that you could have made the start and end fall on the same seem and then make the through-cut there so there was no loose ends to bolt together. Otherwise, nice job!

Luckily there is a Michael's right next to my Lowes... now I just have to bring myself to walk into a store like that! haha

Can't direct fire that stuff. It melts like butter. :cross:

Certainly -- I mean that the insulation will save fuel over using no insulation and burning gas over the course of an hour to maintain the mash temperature.

Brewed today. It held temps great. Only lost 1* over the hour. Checked at 30min and it was still spot on where I started. Didn't have to fire-up the burner.

But it was also 80 degrees out today... :p

I thought about using velcro too, but just couldn't find it in Lowes, so just grabbed these bunjee cords. Some velcro straps would be better since you would be able to pull them tighter where as with the cords you're stuck with how they fit and not able to adjust them.

Post some pics!

So I built this on Friday... 4 layers of reflectix, and a removable lid (also 4 layers) that fits in snugly with some weatherstrip around the edge of the lid... held 155 degrees for the entire 60 minute mash... I was astonished. It was also 48 degrees here in MI on Saturday.

Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with this. I will post a pic of mine later tonight!

Thanks again Stankonia!

dannedry said:
So I built this on Friday... 4 layers of reflectix, and a removable lid (also 4 layers) that fits in snugly with some weatherstrip around the edge of the lid... held 155 degrees for the entire 60 minute mash... I was astonished. It was also 48 degrees here in MI on Saturday.

Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with this. I will post a pic of mine later tonight!

Thanks again Stankonia!

That's impressive and very encouraging. I plan to do this and was only concerned about holding the temps in the keggle.

How did you attach the reflectix to the lid?

Looks good dannedry. I like how you arranged the cut where the valve and thermometers are to avoid cutting holes for them.

So I ran my 2nd brew using this jacket on my Mash Tun, this time it was only a 5 gallon brew. And ambient temperature at the time in my garage was roughly 36 degrees, and this held the mash temp ROCK SOLID for 60 minutes. Not so much as a 1 degree temperature drop. I friggen love this thing!!!

Nice. It has been holding temps great for me also. I've used it 3 times total and it's been pretty hassle free.

So I ran my 2nd brew using this jacket on my Mash Tun, this time it was only a 5 gallon brew. And ambient temperature at the time in my garage was roughly 36 degrees, and this held the mash temp ROCK SOLID for 60 minutes. Not so much as a 1 degree temperature drop. I friggen love this thing!!!

That's great to hear! I just made two-layer jacket for my tun tonight and can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning. I'll be brewing early and it looks like it will only be 25-30 degrees. I only have bungies cords for now but I am def. gonna add velcro later.

Cheers

That's great to hear! I just made two-layer jacket for my tun tonight and can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning. I'll be brewing early and it looks like it will only be 25-30 degrees. I only have bungies cords for now but I am def. gonna add velcro later.

Cheers

I did 3 layers on mine. The more the better I say!

I did 3 layers on mine. The more the better I say!

there might be something to that. my jacket helped today but I it appears it wasn't quite enough. I did two batches today and I had to fire up the burner both times mid-mash. I'm getting there though! I am considering just doing a direct fire RIMs though instead.

Back