Cinnamon Pear Cider from Trader Joe's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
Has anyone done any experimenting with this? i just bought a gallon and plan on adding some pectic and a pacman slurry.

i will post results

If anyone cares the SG was 1.056.
Very nice flavor to the cider. I think this has some potential.

I just saw that as well and thought the same thing.

I'll need a new stopper then I'll test it as well (unless I get lazy and balloon it...)

my wife has been buying this quite a bit recently and I was thinking the same thing. I have a pack of Red Star Montrachet yeast in the fridge that might make for an interesting experiment.

If tomorrow is a snow day I'll be transferring. Will post some gravity sample notes.

Edit: this is A very new England thread.

I look forward to hearing the results. It looks like a snow day for me so I might make the 1/2 mile walk to TJ's if it's favorable

So I bottled this today. The final gravity waS 1.008. The following is the final recipe.

Upon tasting the hydro sample there is little to no cinn flavor/aroma. I'm pleased so far.

1 gal trader joe's cinnamon pear cider
.25 tsp yeast nutrient
.5 tsp pectic enzyme
Slurry of pacman yeast
SG 1.056
Prime with 1.5 oz of vt grade b maple syrup

FG 1.008

Enjoy

I made a batch with 1 gallon of this juice and 4.5 gallons of apple juice. I made this about 6 weeks ago and it has been sitting in the keg for 2 weeks untapped. The samples tasted great, exactly what I was shooting for. I wanted to go easy on the quantity of pear cider the first time trying this. Despite being only about 18% of the total juice, the flavor really comes through nicely with a noticeable cinnamon and pear flavor and aroma. It's nicely balanced.

I used safale 04 at 65° and racked it to the keg at 1.006. I'll post back in a week or so and let you know how it is carbed and served.

I saw that stuff in TJ (in the Shrewsbury store, xerotime) and wondered if it would be any good. The cinnamon put me off, so instead I grabbed a 1L bottle of pure cherry juice and a 1.5L of their Gravenstein apple cider. I figured I'd mix the two, add a jar of Moreno cherries that's been sitting in the pantry for a while (also from TJs) and maybe add some sugar to up the OG and see what I get. Good to know the pear juice has some promise - I may need to go back for some!

what ever happened to spag's

The old man died, his daughters took over, changed a bunch of things, f'ed it up, Building 19 came in and bought it, was Spags 19 or something for a while, now just Building 19.

I'm sure walmart/lowes/dick's had a part in it too

They had that stuff right at the front door yesterday, and the first thing to cross my mind was had cider

It's interesting you said a store still had this.... I went back yesterday to pick up some stuff for baby food and was gonna get enough for 5 gal, but they didn't have it. Maybe I need to check another store in my travels.

They still had quite a bit in Shrewsbury when I picked up 3 gallons worth just this past Friday night.

Tasting notes.

Nice clean perry, nice subtle cinn flavor/aroma. Almost zero maple flavor from priming addition, but nicely. I even got my first positive cider/perry response from the wife.

Now to stop at the shrewsbury store next time in the area.

I saw this today and it got the wheels turning but it said it was pasteurized. I thought nothing could be done with it. I was looking to make a 6.5 gallon carboy of this stuff. Thoughts? It seem like you guys have had success. Anything else you'd do recipe wise?

Latest posts

Back