What Was I Thinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, I went into the debate forum. Bad start. Then I wondered out loud why people are so disrespectful of each other and can't have a civil discussion. I have no excuse. I wasn't drunk. I'm not new to the idea of internet forums. Maybe I had a mini stroke, who knows.

Thankfully, the Gnome came along and reminded me of where I was.

SF4381.jpg

You mean we still have a debate forum???? Oh yeah I blocked it out when I first had the chance to.

People still go there??? Does godwin's law get invoked daily there?

godwinslaw.jpg

:D

I try and stay out of there, although I'll often lurk to see what venom is being spewed.

I've got to be honest, there are people here who I like a lot less than before the debate forum started. There are people that I have put on "ignore" because whatever I read of theirs, it pisses me off (and they don't spend any time outside of the debate forum, anyway).

EDIT: I pride myself on getting along with pretty much everybody that I meet... but there are people in the debate forum whose core values are so fundamentally opposed to mine (usually related somehow to being closedminded) where I honestly could not see sitting down and having a beer with them.

I've thought about blocking it, but it just seems like I ought not to have put child-proof locks on my own cabinets to keep from hurting myself, if that analogy makes any sense. But, then, I end up wandering in, get into a mess, and have to be rescued by the Gnome.

Some people enjoy discussing politics and controversial things like that...some people avoid it and find it uncomfortable. Americans typically fall into the later group and politics become a taboo subject in social setting. I think discussions like that are healthy, and the problem is that we're limited socially on how and when you can discuss things like that, so when the opportunity arises it blows up out of proportion.

Some people enjoy discussing politics and controversial things like that...some people avoid it and find it uncomfortable. Americans typically fall into the later group and politics become a taboo subject in social setting. I think discussions like that are healthy, and the problem is that we're limited socially on how and when you can discuss things like that, so when the opportunity arises it blows up out of proportion.

Well I think you're wrong on both a moral and spiritual level. Your ideas are offensive. Next you'll be calling for voting rights for homosexuals and making wild statements about racial equality!!!

If I could THINK of some way to equate your ideas with Hitler and Nazism I most certainly would!!

:D

I used to like the debate forum and I still lurk and post from time to time but I do not try to win the pissing contests. It is really futile to try to convince others of your point if view. I am guilty of trying to do it as I do like a good intelligent debate every now and again but people get downright mean and nasty when it comes to defending their POV

I lurk the debate forum on occasion, but don't post very often anymore. I don't think anyone's opinion on any subject has ever been swayed in there, so it really is just a lot of finger-pointing. but sometimes it is good for a giggle or two, also....

Latest posts

Back