Mash Profile questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
First let me say this is a great place with allot of great information and people.

My questions are these:

On a single infusion with no mash out, the mash in step states to add 2.33gal of water at 163.8. I understand this part of the process but the part that I am not sure of is after. The instructions in beersmith states to sparge with 6.49 gal of 180º water. This is the part that I am not sure of. I do not have the means of doing a running sparge... so the only thing that I have done to this point is batch sparge.

Do I just add 6.49 gal to my MLT after I drain the first 2.33 gal then drain that with out letting it sit for any amount of time?

Am I understanding the instructions right by doing it that way?

the recipe that I am planing on doing in a day or two is this one Cream of Three Crops scaled to a 5 gal batch size.

That's the gist of it - though I personally prefer to do two sparges whenever possible (i.e. in this case, I'd batch sparge twice with about 3.25 gallons each), and let it sit for 5-10 minutes prior to draining to let the grain bed settle.

Back