RIS for the next 9 months of winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Im looking at this after checking a lot of recipes-

16lb American Two-row Pale
2.0 Rye Malt
1.5 Chocolate Malt
1.0 Pale Choclate
1.0 Brown Sugar
1.0 Roasted Barley
0.8 Belgian Special B

.5 flaked Wheat? or oats?

60 2.0 Nugget leaf 13.0
20 2.0 Sterling leaf 6.3
10 1.0 Nugget leaf 13.0
Calculated IBUs 86 uncorrected but 109 corrected. Nut sure what to do there.

Trappist High Gravity yeast 3787

The only time I ever used Rye I didn't like it. Never used it since.

Not sure this helps, but it is a comment.

Paul

Special B seems to be a nuclear malt so be careful... :) I used 1/2# in my Barleywine and the wort smelled like raisins and plums, and it was about all I could smell during fermentation.

Only other comment is, I'm jealous, I wanna do a RIS but I'm going to run out of kegs soon. :D

That seems like a lot of chocolate malt. I would probably add some roasted barley or perhaps some black patent. Depends on how true to style you are trying to get I guess. That will be a butt-kicker regardless.

I dont know about the rye.

You might add some flaked oats or barley, for mouth feel.

I might switch the Crystal 60 for Crystal 40. A little more caramelly flavor, might well balance with the 120 a little more.

+1 on the Special B comment. I dont even know if you need it at all.

And I might cut down on the Chocolate Malt a little, and add some other roasted grains. To get a better profile. With some more coffee notes in there. You can do Black Patent or Roasted Barley... one may be more appropriate for an RIS than the other, but both will give you burnt flavors... I did chocolate malt and RB in my RIS

Mike,

I could well be off my rocker here... but I don't know if I would call your recipe a RIS, or any kind of stout... some kind of imperial franken-porter maybe? ;0 There's no roasted barley nor flaked barley which exemplify the stout style. And there is the crystal which is suited to a porter, but not a stout.

Here's a RIS recipe from the JZ book... an excellent read... and great recipes. This would be a great recipe to start with.

19 lbs pale ale malt (british) - mash at 154oF
black roasted barley (500L) 1.5 lbs
special b 1.0 lbs
CaraMunich (60L) 0.5 lbs
Chocolate malt (350L) 0.5 lbs
Pale choc. malt (200L) 0.5 lbs

Horizon (13% AA) 1.5 oz 60 mins
EKG (5% AA) 2.0 10 mins
EKG (5% AA) 2.0 1 mins

Yeast - wlp001, wyeast 1056, safale us-05. Ferment at 67oF. Store for shorter than 6 months!

Good luck!

Ok updated- I really want the chocolate to come through. let me know if that looks better.

That's looking tasty to me! I am not sure what the rye adds, but why the heck not! What kind of OG do you calculate? Pound of terrified/torrified wheat will add some head retention. You can certainly say it's chock full of chocolate flavor! Why not go mad and add 6-8 oz cocoa with 5 minutes left in the boil? had a rogue choc stout recently that was to die for!

All de best!

Back