belgium wheat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolson

Reaction score
i was wondering how i would go about adding orange zext to my secondary fermenter just drop in in or should i use a mesh bag??? i zested 2 oranges in the last 10 mins of the boil just wondering if i add more in the secondary if it would bring out the flavor more?

and also how would i make sure the oranges are clean before i put them in the seconday because i dont want to contaminate the beer!

i was wondering how i would go about adding orange zext to my secondary fermenter just drop in in or should i use a mesh bag??? i zested 2 oranges in the last 10 mins of the boil just wondering if i add more in the secondary if it would bring out the flavor more?

I have never done it, but it is widely used and acceptable technique.
About contamination: people add fruit to secondary without any sanitation and it works. It is rather hard to contaminate secondary this way.
You have an option to keep the orange zest in vodka for a few days and add it all together.

awesome i mean i picked up some of this stuff called fruit wash sdays it kills everything... awesome i cant wait to try it! how many oranges should i zest in it? and do i add directly or use a mesh bag?

how many oranges should i zest in it? and do i add directly or use a mesh bag?

To the boil I add up to 8 oranges and it never goes over the top.
If you add directly, utilization will be better, but you might get some mess in secodary - the orange peels I think can float on the surface... I vote for mesh bag.

all right will do i only zested 2 oranges in the boil... so i can add like 4 or 5 to the secondary without over powering it?

You may want to add them gradually. At zest from 2 one day, let it sit a few days, and taste it. Add more as necessary.

thats a great idea hah! i will do that it gets racked to secondary in a little over a week im guessing...

Back