Agave Wine Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ceilo_dulce_bottle.jpg

I'm about to bottle this stuff, and I got excited about my label, so I did a trial run with some colored water. The actual wine is the same hue but more pale.

I've been drinking some agave wheat from Breckenridge recently, it's an awesome flavor. I'm sure the wine will be great. Is is 100% agave? And where on earth do you get agave nectar?

Look in the honey section of the grocery store. You'll probably find the light grade there. I used the amber grade, found at an upscale grocery chain native to TX. Whole Foods has it, also.

its just that the wine itself (or imitation wine) looks so brilliant and bright in this photo. i think anything would be a bit dull nect to that.

sounds interesting. is there anywhere i could buy agave wine?

The label picture was taken with some water and food coloring standing in for the wine. Here's the real deal:

actual_agave_wine.jpg

Don't worry, it's done fermenting, and I've purged the headspace with inert gas to avoid oxidation (but I fear it may have been too late!).

While I don't expect a flak filled sky, where is the aircraft in the Cielo Dulce?
Actually, I thought it was quite in keeping with my usual theme, with the slight twist that it seems a bit more subtle and sophisticated rather than an "in your face," aggressive name. That was the intent, anyway.

Yuri, that looks great! I love the silver tops, they really go with the label and the blue bottle. Now, when's the product eval?

I filled and corked a partial bottle, so I didn't want to age it too long. Just opened it. The flavor is much like a white dessert wine (Gewürztraminer, perhaps). The agave flavor is REALLY subdued. It's got a slight sulfur funk that I'm hoping will mellow with age. I mixed an agave wine margarita (just lime juice and agave wine), and the agave flavor seems much more pronounced against the lime. Best margarita ever!

Sam, you'd be correct if the label were in Italian. However, it's Spanish - a bit of a play on the fact that I'm living in a border town, making agave drinks.

It looks beautiful. What kind of yeast did you use to ferment? I'm guessing a wine yeast. Is the fermentation time and aging like that of wine or more like mead?

I started the batch back in April, using Côte des Blancs yeast. The wine was probably ready to bottle back in mid-June, but I didn't get around to it until recently. It doesn't seem to require a ton of aging, but I'm not going to open another bottle until later this fall. I'm going to use Montrachet for the next batch and compare the results.

I bought some light and some amber agave nectar at Whole Foods today. They both taste great. They are not nearly as strong tasting as honey, which I usually find too strongly flavored and intensely sweet. The agave nectar is mild by comparison. Good stuff.

Back