Triple brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not for me alone, but myself and two buddies completed three brews today. My friends each did their first with my help :)drunk:) and everything turned out well. One of the guys had a heavy duty camping stove that could easily handle a pair of 20qt pots concurrently. It made things so much easier and faster. On the stove, it took me more than an hour to get a 3.5 gallon boil going. Went to a four gallon boil today and had it rolling hard after 15 minutes. Nice.

I did a hefe. One buddy did a red ale and the other did a Boddy's clone. Both guys live in the neighborhood. There's nothing like seeing a 41-year-old guy in the trailer of a lawn tractor hugging tightly to his primary to transport it home. I wish I had had my camera ready.

The best parts, aside from having three brews that will be just about ready for drinking at the same time: one buddy is incredibly adept with DIY stuff, which will help immensely in the move to AG. I'm not all that mechanically inclined. The other guy is a PhD chemist, which makes his worth obvious. He can get his hands on all kinds of scales, stir plates, flasks, pumps, etc. And he's from England, been stateside a couple of years, and no doubt will take to brewing an endless line of bitters.

All in all, an excellent day. Let's hope the brew gods shined on us. :mug:

Sounds like fun was had by all. I got to get a neighbor into brewing. Too much of a pain to haul the gear to do it with a buddy who brews.:tank:

It wasn't quite in one day, but this last weekend, or rather between Friday - Tuesday, I brewed three batches- two partial mashes, one that was extract with steeping grains. And now I am spent. But luckily I have three different styles, all of which should take different amounts of time to peak, with slight overlaps, so I will be able to enjoy them nicely for a while. Kudos to you Shecky - 3 brews in 5 days wore me out. I don't want to think about all in one day...

It wasn't quite in one day, but this last weekend, or rather between Friday - Tuesday, I brewed three batches- two partial mashes, one that was extract with steeping grains. And now I am spent. But luckily I have three different styles, all of which should take different amounts of time to peak, with slight overlaps, so I will be able to enjoy them nicely for a while. Kudos to you Shecky - 3 brews in 5 days wore me out. I don't want to think about all in one day...

I didn't do all of them myself. I did my own and helped on the other two. Actually, one of the guys was paying close attention to what he was doing and asked for help when needed. I stayed out of his way. The other guy, though, he needed a babysitter. He had a boilover that I caught because he was 10 feet away diddling with the hose (the garden hose, not his:D).

Still, it about wore me out. I probably shouldn't have done an 8-mile run before brewing. Live and learn.

Even just being ready to help when called upon is a mental and psychological exertion, though, because you are at the ready, just in case, and expected to be able to save the day no matter what happens.

Don't downplay yourself!

In the group of three, where was the one you did? Did you do your own first and then help the others, or where you later in the day? That is what would have made the difference for me. If I did my own first it probably would have been cool. If I helped out with two others and then went to do my own I would have probably been a little spent...

I was No. 2. That might have been partially what wore me out. I did mine at the same time with the wandering-attention guy. I had to pay attention to my own while also helping him. He was also using some of my equipment (because he's a serious tightwad), which meant I had to pay really close attention to sanitation. That was fine. I'm obsessive about it anyway.

I'm sure we'll do this again, but it's going to be every man for himself.

On the plus side, my hefe is going like crazy.

Back