Powered Co2 Regulator / Flow Guage ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of sanke 5 gallon sanke Kegs (available from me for 20 bucks a peice), and the guy gave me the following Co2 Regulator. I've never seen one. It has a 115 VAC Solenoid on it. It looks like it also has a water flow guage. He said it was like $200. Anybody have any idea how to use it for homebrewing? I figured I might as well integrate it into my future kegging setup.

Co2Regulator009.jpg

Co2Regulator001.jpg

Co2Regulator002.jpg

Co2Regulator006.jpg

Sorry the pics were soo big. I even resized them in half.

I'm pretty sure that's used for real time soda carbonating like one the fast food soda fountains. I can't imagine a use for the valve in a homebrew setup but you could remove it. The other problem is that you need a pressure gauge, not a flow.

Yeah, the front gauge is the tank pressure, the sight glass is a flow tube. It shouldn't pose any problems to you, although I have never used one for kegging. I have taken the flow gauge off regulators and replaced them with pressure gauges, but I've never done it with a flow tube like that. As long as it doesn't leak, it should be fine, and you don't need the solenoid as far as I can see.

The requirements for welding & brewing are very different, but you could probably use that along with some inexpensive secondary regulators. I suspect you would have to have it powered ON all the time and it is difficult to get a flow regulator to maintain a static pressure. I suspect the previous owner just opened the valve and pressurized as needed.

You would be better off selling it and buying a standard regulator.

IrregularPulse said:
But why would he have this supposed $200 thing if he only used it as a basic Co2 reg? I am still confused.

A-HA
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/cap-reg1-co2-regulator-and-valve-p-1008.html

He must have had it left over from some "hops" growing

So by this I assume that it would usually be used in conjunction with a CO2 monitor contoller and would work sort of like a Ranco controller. Thatis, when the set temp is reached the solenoid is either enrgized or de-energized to open/close the valve?

I don't see how that could be useful for kegging.

It is a quality welding regulator that was likely set-up to release CO2 (via monitor or timer) for indoor gardening or AQ use. There really isn't any use for the solenoid for kegging, so remove it. You'll just need to get a pressure gauge somewhere on the regulator output, and I am sure it will work fine.

GilaMinumBeer-- I think you hit it right on the head.

I'll just sell it I think. I put it on Craigs list. There is an avid Plant grower at work I'll mention it to. Thanks for the help guys.

Back