bottle carbing after LONG secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote

Reaction score
I brewed a high gravity Belgian Strong Dark Ale last fall and it's been in secondary for three months now.

I'd like to bottle this one before too long, but now I'm concerned that maybe I waited too long (too much yeast settled out?)

in any event...advice appreciated on how to finish this up properly.

Thanks!

guys here have bottled barleywine after 6 month secondary, and it carb'd fine.

I think you'll be fine.

appreciate the reply, malkore.

so...no need to add champagne yeast or anything other than priming sugar?

thanks again,

coyote.

What were the OG and FG and the original yeast used? If you add some champagne yeast (which can go up to 18%), it'll also eat up some of those residual sugars and possibly give you bottle bombs if you add champagne yeast and then bottle. If you give us a little more information, we could probably give you specific advice.

YooperBrew,

OG=1.103
FG (after 4 week primary) = 1.020...haven't checked it since then

I AM concerned it might be too sweet finishing at 1.020, but I haven't tasted it lately.

yeast was the cake from two previous batches using a mix of WLP 500 & 570.

Wow- you're at about 80% attenuation, so your yeast is about pooped out. Even adding priming sugar probably won't allow them carbonate if the yeast or done.

However, adding champange yeast and then immediately bottling will probably cause over carbonation. I think we need a big beer expert to help us out on this one- you are way over my head with a beer of this size!

appreciate the reply, YooperBrew.

if worse comes to worse, I'll just keg it, but I really wanted to bottle this one and let it AGE.

appreciate any help!

coyote

Back