Japan Hops Trading -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here's the news from AIH RE:certificates:
We can get them for:

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Columbus
Galena
Magnum
Mt Hood
N Brewer
Sterling
Willamette

The certificate cost is $25. I will need to see if this is for all of the rhizomes or if you will need one for each variety.
So the Perle, Crystal, and Tettnanger that people asked for are not going to work; at least not through AIH. I'm looking around for other stores/farms that may be able to provide these cheaper and with less hassle, so anybody that wants to get in and help dilute the shipping costs further are welcome to do so.

Hi, I am new to these forums, but was researching hops on Japan. I have been Homebrewing here for a few years, and would love to get in on this group buy for hops rhizomes.

Is it too late?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi, I am new to these forums, but was researching hops on Japan. I have been Homebrewing here for a few years, and would love to get in on this group buy for hops rhizomes.

Is it too late?

Welcome to the forums, Steve. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, it's been a hectic week. I haven't made the purchase yet (the certificates are a pain in the butt), so please PM me with 1) what rhizomes you want and 2) your address.

Brendan, do we need to get a separate certificate for each rhizome, each cultivar, or just one for the whole order? Do you know?

I'm waiting on:
1) orders from trippmia (revised), guzzibrew, and CB_in_Tokyo
2) response to the above question from AIH's grower
3) life (its been a long week)

Once those get cleared up, we can move forward.

Brendan, do we need to get a separate certificate for each rhizome, each cultivar, or just one for the whole order? Do you know?

I don't have an official answer to that, but my best guess is that each cultivar would need one if the customs guys are really picky. They should assume that the cert is for the LOT, and the lot would consist of anything labelled on the cert. If all the pieces are in one box together and the certificate is on top or outside the box, they might read it, look inside, and move on. Any soil in there might get their attention so if the stock is nice and clean looking that would help. If you have one cert an they decide thats not enough for the other plants, then having the rhizomes all packed together (touching) might end up being a bad thing.

But this is Japan, the source of a ton of damaging invasive species... Their environment is so anthropogenic that I feel they don't even care anymore. I've yet to see evidence of some kind of protection or enforcement. Its more likely they heavily skew their priority for contraband (drugs/guns) interception.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I don't have an official answer to that, but my best guess is that each cultivar would need one if the customs guys are really picky. They should assume that the cert is for the LOT, and the lot would consist of anything labelled on the cert. If all the pieces are in one box together and the certificate is on top or outside the box, they might read it, look inside, and move on. Any soil in there might get their attention so if the stock is nice and clean looking that would help. If you have one cert an they decide thats not enough for the other plants, then having the rhizomes all packed together (touching) might end up being a bad thing.

But this is Japan, the source of a ton of damaging invasive species... Their environment is so anthropogenic that I feel they don't even care anymore. I've yet to see evidence of some kind of protection or enforcement. Its more likely they heavily skew their priority for contraband (drugs/guns) interception.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

That's very helpful! So it sounds like the certificate covers the products of a certain farm, is that right?

Right now I'm leaning towards getting one certificate for the lot, and begging them to clean and bag the rhizomes separately, especially since the regulations I read seemed to say that a certificate wasn't necessary.

I mean the certificate should cover an inspection of a group/lot of rhizomes but not necessarily the whole farm. I think they would inspect one variety at a time because some plants are more susceptible to disease than others. There are varieties that could have a disease right next to healthy immune plants of another type.
If you have one cert I think it will go a long way to getting it through customs. Cleaning the soil off is a big help. In Canada you aren't even allowed to move farm machinery from one province to another without a full cleaning - you can get fined if you don't wash your tractor. That's not even crossing an international border :cross:

Welcome to the forums, Steve. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, it's been a hectic week. I haven't made the purchase yet (the certificates are a pain in the butt), so please PM me with 1) what rhizomes you want and 2) your address.

I'm waiting on:
1) orders from trippmia (revised), guzzibrew, and CB_in_Tokyo
2) response to the above question from AIH's grower
3) life (its been a long week)

Once those get cleared up, we can move forward.

Thanks Fendcar, very hectic here as well, especiallly with the snowstorm. I have PM'd you my order.

It seems that there are a lot more foreign brewers in Japan than I guessed! Looking forward to being part of the community!

Cheers,

Steve

Here's our order at the moment.

Code:
[B]Variety		Total	 Each[/B]
Centennial	6	 $8.99 
N Brewer 	3	 $8.99 
Cascade		3	 $8.99 
Willamette	3	 $8.99 
Nugget		2	 $8.99 
Galena		1	 $9.99 
Magnum		1	 $9.99

Amazing how that worked out so exactly. These prices are including AIH's cost, 1 certificate for the batch, and shipping to your domiciles. Please do not send me money yet, I will PM you a total once I make the actual purchase.

If we need to get certificates for each variety, then all the lower-quantity rhizomes will get exceedingly expensive.

I am also considering ordering twice: a safe one as above, with certificates, and a second package without, just to push my luck.:D If the certificates do in fact cover only a single cultivar, perhaps this will be a (risky) way to try to keep costs down, and afford some variety in cultivars. I plan on ordering some Crystal and Perle this way, so anyone that wants to join in, let me know.:mug:

Here's our order at the moment.

Code:
[B]Variety		Total	 Each[/B]
Centennial	6	 $8.99 
N Brewer 	3	 $8.99 
Cascade		3	 $8.99 
Willamette	3	 $8.99 
Nugget		2	 $8.99 
Galena		1	 $9.99 
Magnum		1	 $9.99

Amazing how that worked out so exactly. These prices are including AIH's cost, 1 certificate for the batch, and shipping to your domiciles. Please do not send me money yet, I will PM you a total once I make the actual purchase.

If we need to get certificates for each variety, then all the lower-quantity rhizomes will get exceedingly expensive.

I am also considering ordering twice: a safe one as above, with certificates, and a second package without, just to push my luck.:D If the certificates do in fact cover only a single cultivar, perhaps this will be a (risky) way to try to keep costs down, and afford some variety in cultivars. I plan on ordering some Crystal and Perle this way, so anyone that wants to join in, let me know.:mug:

I'll get in on the risky ones. I'll join you on the Crystal and Perle and raise you hallertau, east kent goldings and and saaz (if available).

Good News Everyone!
8JCCv2K.png%3F2

I finally got an answer from the grower. The certificate is slightly more expensive than we were originally told, but it definitely covers the entire order.
Dan,
here is what she sent to me today:

Hi Jason –
The standard practice for a phytosanitary certificate is to have one certificate per order. The certificate would be for all rhizomes in that order, regardless of variety.
Yes, we would need to know the address (state) where the hops will be shipped to.
The fee for a certificate is $40.00
If you want to have a phytosanitary certificate for an order, let us know as soon as possible so that we can be sure to have the inspection scheduled so as not to delay the shipment.
The cost of the certificate is added to your final invoice.
Let me know if you I can answer any other questions about the process.
Take care,

Let me know if you want to go this route.
Cheers!

As such, we are ready to move ahead with the order, so I will be sending out requests to everyone that ordered rhizomes. Please reply quickly so we can get our order in ASAP.

The current prices (AIH's price + certificate + shipping) work out as follows:
Code:
By Cultivar:	Qty	Price(AIH)	Price (w/costs)
Centennial	4	$4.99		$9.44
Magnum		1	$5.99		$10.44
Galena		1	$5.99		$10.44
Northern Brewer	3	$4.99		$9.44
Willamette	4	$4.99		$9.44
Cascade		4	$4.99		$9.44
Nugget		1	$5.99		$10.44
Sterling	2	$4.99		$9.44

Hi fellow farmers...

I have been trying to follow this thread but "my computer" seems to be hanging for some reason (ads not loading properly I suspect) - don't know but this is just to say I may not be able to respond quickly....

OK, Well I guess I am more interested in cultivars not really comming from North America;

I hope to be able to source Hallertauer Mittelfruh, Tettnanger, Saaz
Spalt, Tradition, Perle etc.

Anyone out there also interested in these?

It is my hope to get these and get them in the ground by the end of april or may, so if anyone has an interest, please let me know.

---
Also, in one sloppy attempt to get ther varieties I wanted, I did buy some hop seeds... Frankly I do not expect them to sprout, much less hold much hope for them if they do... but I would like to see how it goes.

I was wondering, if they do grow, would anyone want some of them?
I am particulaly interesed if some one would like to grow the males...
I'd like to create a small "sperm bank" of pollen for use in breeding.

You see,
I have a lonely lady who is depressed and perhaps could benefit by having something to look forward to. ;)

Blue-Frog

BF,

I would be extremely interested in keeping in touch with you as things progress. I realize that you're in Japan and not in the states, so transfer of materials may be difficult, but I'd like to help any way I can.

PBJ

BF I am interested in growing from seeds too but can't help with a group buy at the moment. I only just started using whole leaf hops and the stuff I have all seems to have seeds. None of the varieties you mentioned though and I have no idea if I can get them to sprout. After that its a crapshoot to their brewing qualities which I suppose will be a 2 year wait to even check. On top of that, its a pretty big project to start if you have limited space, so I am still up in the air about it.

Thanks PBJ. I will be sure too stay in touch. Hung computers and all.

Brendan, You know, I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to grow male hops in small らぜんor あんどん planters... and just keep them trimmed back, rather than giving them the freedom they would really like to have...

Some of my wild Japanese Hops (H. japonicus/H. scandens)
seem to be ok growing tight and just remaining small....

(?)

I am still having issues even seeing this page on occassion....

A very Blue Frog.

Well its finally that time of year! I will take a maximum of 3 cuttings of my Magnum and Centennial for members of this group this year. I think I stunted them last year and got very little yield. Please PM me a new request if you would like one. Please include the address to ship to in the request. Also, I would like to keep my budget for shipping below 2000 yen so if anyone can do chakubarai (pay on delivery for shipping cost) that would help me out, let me know if I can send to you that way. I will review this thread and my PM's for anyone I promised hops to and message them to confirm if they still want them, after that it will be first come first serve. One hop variety per person to spread the love more, name your first and second choices so I can get you the one you prefer if possible.
Cheers!
B

Brendan,

If one goes un-claimed, I will take it as a back up on what has yet to emerge from under the snow. Otherwise, I'm good.

BF

"the risky ones..."
Crystal, Perle, Hallertau, East kent goldings and and Saaz...など。
I'm curious too as I really want some German Noble Hops, their relatives and friends. :)

Brendan, yeah we did make the order to homebrewing.org. They should be shipping out within a month or so.

BF, you're more than welcome to join in on our "risky" order, as I haven't made that purchase yet. Maybe that should be my project for next week..

I just got an update from AIH about the hops!
I just sent for the certificates. We always bag them separately- As far as the clean goes, we can only go so far. If we rinse them too much, we could kill the rhizomes.

I will keep you posted as to when they ship.

Cheers!

Jason

I'm going to start getting stuff ready for the "risky" order. Anyone that wants in, please let me know ASAP. Anything on AIH's page is up for ordering. As stated before, no guarantees that it will get through customs. Once we get the orders in, I will send out totals to everybody, and we can work out how to gather up the payments.

Hello all,

I am going to be growing hops this year and had a couple of questions. I will be growing them in self watering containers (home made EarthBox) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what kind of potting soil to get and if there was anything else I needed to add to the soil such a fertilizer. I don't speak or read any Japanese so it is difficult for me to figure out what to buy from out in town. Any help is appreciated.

JJ

Heads up I sent off the last batch of hops cuttings yesterday. Guzzi, Blue, and Yuki, they are all chukurabai so heads up. Guzzi it was about 1030 yen, the others were both 610 yen. Unfortunately the centennial didn't have much left of the thick rhizomes so one of these packs got thin cuttings with small rootlets. I put a few in there just in case but it might not work out. Sorry about that but thats all I could manage without getting right into the crown.
Good luck!
:D

My hops poking out of the ground now. Magnum, Cascade and Shinshiwase are a few inches tall already and Centennial is just starting to sprout. Getting excited!

Yeah, well, I don't exactly have time for quarantine laws. I am not a resident of Japan. I just go there on business regularly, for a couple of weeks at a time.

My thought was, I could bring a pound of hops in for some folks to use. But if it has to wait for quarantine, I will most likely already be back in the US before that gets taken care of. 残念

If you mean dry hops for brewing then I wouldn't worry - many people do it and have not been troubled. Of course it looks like you are smuggling a pound of pot to them if they check so if you want to consider the hassle that might cause you, it might not be worth it.
Live plants you should avoid bringing without being certified as pest/disease free.

Yeah, well, I don't exactly have time for quarantine laws. I am not a resident of Japan. I just go there on business regularly, for a couple of weeks at a time.

My thought was, I could bring a pound of hops in for some folks to use. But if it has to wait for quarantine, I will most likely already be back in the US before that gets taken care of. 残念

I watched on the side at Narita and they do hand inspect plant and fruit items. Things seemed to move fairly well. It wound't hurt to try... especially with a back up plan in place.

When are you comming next time?

Blue Frog

For those that are wondering where their rhizomes are: I got notification they were shipped last week. Hopefully they will arrive at my place soon, and I can pass them on to all of you ASAP. Daylight's wasting, let's get 'em in the dirt!

It turns out I have to go to another country for a few days before Japan, so it doesn't look like I will be transporting any hops, or really anything else I had planned to bring along. :(

Any of you guys down near Nagasaki? It seems like we will be spending a couple of nights in the area, and I'd like to know if there's any good craft beer-ish places to take some coworkers around that area. I've never really been that far south before, so it's all new to me.

Back