Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing about the lager I've had from China (Tsingtao), I think it's pretty good! and the bottles are very thick, I think they will last me a while

NickTheGreat said:
I was in my LHBS on Saturday getting grains. They also have a nice beer selection. This complete *bro* walks in and says "I need your fanciest imported beer. I've got some customers in from out of state and they only like the best. They said IPA, do you carry their stuff here? I'm more of a liquor man . . . "

The employee was really cool and tried to teach him some things about beer :tank:

Imagine the stupid comments when that guy handed the IPAs to his customers. "Yeah, these are some awesomely fancy import beers from the IPA Brewing Co of um ... Germanavaria. They're supposed to be made with the hops that impart the most alcohol." and then the customers watch as he has a swig and winces because he can't handle the flavor.

thatjonguy said:
Probably. But stuff from China is imported (not necessarily beer) but I don't think I have ever said good things about that quality.

Not trying to start a debate, just mentioning I think it is comical.

Lol, not wishing to continue a debate, but at the price point I've never had a single issue with anything from China. They say "you get what you pay for", but sometimes I've got wayyyy more than I paid for with Chinese manufacture. Wish I could say the same for British and American goods, more often than not I'm left feeling I was ripped off. Kind of convinced that many times its a case of "over-promising and under-delivering"

Anyway back to beer.

I asked a guy who's into producing things at home if he'd ever tried brewing his own beers. His response? "Nah I can't afford to go blind to save a few £"

Lol, not wishing to continue a debate, but at the price point I've never had a single issue with anything from China. They say "you get what you pay for", but sometimes I've got wayyyy more than I paid for with Chinese manufacture. Wish I could say the same for British and American goods, more often than not I'm left feeling I was ripped off.

Let's look at it from an economics standpoint...

not so much something I have heard but a regular occurrence. Here in PA if you order a lager, you get a Youngling. If you try to explain that lager covers half the beer world you get an array of odd looks and disbelief that bud is a lager.

roastquake said:
Funny thing about the lager I've had from China (Tsingtao), I think it's pretty good! and the bottles are very thick, I think they will last me a while

Boxing Cat Brewery in China ain't bad either.

not so much something I have heard but a regular occurrence. Here in PA if you order a lager, you get a Youngling. If you try to explain that lager covers half the beer world you get an array of odd looks and disbelief that bud is a lager.

have they ever looked at a Bud label? says it's a LAGER right there!

then again, some people are so stupid, they still wouldn't believe it

454221338_o.jpg

So, my wife called from the store yesterday saying there was some beer on clearance for 1/2 price.
The call quality sucked, so here's what I told her to buy:
Pink 'something' farmhouse ale
'something' ale by Green Flash
Hop Rod Rye
Turned down the Green flash IPA

When she got home I was interested in what she actually bought, because I knew I was mis-hearing.

Pink something turned out to be a 4 pack of Tank 7
The something ale from Green Flash turned out to be a Trippel (I was hearing trip ale or something)
The Hop Rod Rye was a Hop Rod Rye

A pair of Gorden Biersch Winter Bocks at Dulles having lunch with the wife during our now three hour layover. Was originally supposed to be less than an hour. I could have done with maybe an extra hour to grab lunch, but this provides me with too much drinking time. I'm pretty sure they don't let overly drunk people on the plane, haha.

ForumRunner_20131114_122816.jpg

A pair of Gorden Biersch Winter Bocks at Dulles having lunch with the wife during our now three hour layover. Was originally supposed to be less than an hour. I could have done with maybe an extra hour to grab lunch, but this provides me with too much drinking time. I'm pretty sure they don't let overly drunk people on the plane, haha.

<-- waves from 5 miles away

<-- waves from 5 miles away

*waves back* Can you see me waving?

Now having a GB Marzen (sorry, can't figure out how to do an umlaut on my phone) to keep from getting too tipsy. Normally I don't think there is such a thing, but I've only narrowly avoided missing a flight before because I was quite tipsy and not paying attention.

ForumRunner_20131114_130845.jpg

*waves back* Can you see me waving?

Now having a GB Marzen (sorry, can't figure out how to do an umlaut on my phone) to keep from getting too tipsy. Normally I don't think there is such a thing, but I've only narrowly avoided missing a flight before because I was quite tipsy and not paying attention.

So ... I let the first one go, but two 'what are you drinking' posts in the wrong thread? Nah.... :D

mcbaumannerb said:
So ... I let the first one go, but two 'what are you drinking' posts in the wrong thread? Nah.... :D

Hey, at least it was funny and involved beer. That's more than we can say about all the "well actually" derailments. ;)

WesleyS said:
Hey, at least it was funny and involved beer. That's more than we can say about all the "well actually" derailments. ;)

Well actually, some of the derailments have been pretty funny.

...(sorry, can't figure out how to do an umlaut on my phone)...

Well actually :D all you should have to do it hold down on the letter for a second or so then a group of extra "letters" should pop up with all kinds of accents

Dave37 said:
Well actually, some of the derailments have been pretty funny.

Yes but not "haha funny."
They're funny like, it's funny that I'd rather dig my eyes out and eat them than to read arguments about tipping, odds, and economics in this thread.
;)

WesleyS said:
Yes but not "haha funny."
They're funny like, it's funny that I'd rather dig my eyes out and eat them than to read arguments about tipping, odds, and economics in this thread.
;)

Come for the amusing anecdotes about people saying stupid things. Stay for the arguments about economics.

It could be worse. I once derailed a thread for two days with an argument about the proper use of the word whom.

That you need 2 burners to do an all grain batch; worst part is that came from one of the workers at one of my LHBS I used to go to. :smack:

Trox said:
Except he said that as to why he only brews extract, and why doesn't want to move to all grain.:confused:
WTF? For the difference in price between extract and all grain batches, you could pay for a cheap burner in 4-5 batches.

"I don't drink" said an hour ago by my neighbors date who visited my house. Then she sampled the pale ale he was drinking and made a face. I passed her a Octoberfest which she was quick to kill. Hmmm... should I comment on how full of crap she is, or just that I am awesome and can find the proper beer for someone in my ilbeit limited selection?

"I don't drink" said an hour ago by my neighbors date who visited my house. Then she sampled the pale ale he was drinking and made a face. I passed her a Octoberfest which she was quick to kill. Hmmm... should I comment on how full of crap she is, or just that I am awesome and can find the proper beer for someone in my ilbeit limited selection?
Enjoy the fact that she enjoyed your Octoberfest, and let it go.

If I tried to straighten out all the irrational people I run into, I wouldn't have time to brush my teeth...

What is her definition of drink? It might not be to get :tank: or it might not be to drink liqueur.

Excellent job making great beer and sharing it!

Whom for smart and important, who for casual.

Oh, as in like "HOOM," haha! For some reason, I read that as pronounced like "wom" and was like, "'Wom'? WTF is a 'wom'?"

Anyway, the answer is easy. "Whom" if the answer would be "him" or "her." "Who" if the answer would be "he" or "she." Case closed.

Back