Stainless steel braided ring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
I'm attempting to build the stainless steel braided ring lautering rig described on page 294 of HTB3 by Palmer. None of the plumbing supply places (or Home Depot) had the 24" by 1" diameter water heater connector and I'm not having much luck on-line.

Can anyone point me to a source? TIA

I use 3/4 as well, standard size, easy to find other fitting/valves for.

Suggestion: Check Lowes before Home Depot. The store brand at HD is a coated polymer not SS, Lowes sells almost all SS.

Thanks Monster & Beerirfic:

If I use 3/4", what size t-connector do I use? I already bought the 5/8" one as per the Palmer specs.

Unfortunately, there are no Lowes in Vermont... the nearest is a couple hours away.

Once you take the core out, the braid is a flexible diameter. Pull it lengthwise and it gets smaller in diameter. Compress its length, it gets larger in diameter. It should fit your 5/8" OD just fine.

Bobby_M said:
Once you take the core out, the braid is a flexible diameter. Pull it lengthwise and it gets smaller in diameter. Compress its length, it gets larger in diameter. It should fit your 5/8" OD just fine.

Agreed. If you buy some nylon cable ties they will tighten down a hold that bad boy with no problem.

Beerrific said:
I use 3/4 as well, standard size, easy to find other fitting/valves for.

Suggestion: Check Lowes before Home Depot. The store brand at HD is a coated polymer not SS, Lowes sells almost all SS.

Actually, HD has both and they have a section of only SS braid. If you could only find the polymer at HD you were in the wrong area. I have 2 HD's near me and both keep the stainless braid near the kitchen sink hardware and the poly braid near the toilet hardware.

Back