Starter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing this Sunday and would like to make a starter. However, I am going to be out of town on Friday and Saturday. And I wont have time Friday before I leave work to make one. Should I make it today and let it sit for three days? Or should I make it today, and then put it in the fridge before I leave Friday? That seems counter productive to me though. Also, After I make my starter, can I split it? I am going to be making the same style of beer back to back and it would be nice if I didnt have to buy the yeast twice.

Thanks.

Make it today and crash chill it on Saturday night or just dump it in after the brew on Sunday. (which is what I do)

As to splitting the starter. The better way would be to use the whole starter and put the second one on the cake of the first if you are brewing the next weekend. Or if you mean back to back on the same day, you have no choice but to split the starter. Just make a bigger one to begin with.

Thanks for the help. No can do on Saturday, as I am not coming back until Sunday...actually it is brewtime as soon as I get home. Here is a question though. Should I put it in the fridge when I get home? Brewing is going to take at least a few hours...probably more like four (doing a double decoction)...would that be enough time to get the majority of the yeast out of suspension?

When I mean back to back, I mean back to back brewdays. Brewing one this weekend, then doing a very similar brew next weekend...the best way is just to take the first brew out of primary, and then without removing any of the trub, just put the second brew right on top of everything? I have never done that...is there any risk of infection or anything since the bucket is not being cleaned and sanitized?

Should I put it in the fridge when I get home? Brewing is going to take at least a few hours...probably more like four (doing a double decoction)...would that be enough time to get the majority of the yeast out of suspension?

I wouldn't. You will just be stressing the yeast by bouncing it back and forth. The only reason you would really have for doing this is if you want to pour off the beer made and pitch only the yeast. I pitch my whole amount on most ales at high krausen. On lagers I do things a little different to pitch cold but for ales I brew that doesn't apply.

I have never done that...is there any risk of infection or anything since the bucket is not being cleaned and sanitized?

I don't do this because I never brew back to back with the same yeast unless it is dry yeast and then I don't bother. However, it is done all the time and if you take reasonable precautions, you won't have a problem. In fact, with the amount of yeast involved, any stray wild yeast are so outnumbered they don't stand a chance. As to bacteria, just be sanitary and you will be fine.

Just a basic summer wheat

I dont have my exact recipe in front of me, but it is about 6lb 2-row, 6lbs wheat and .5-1 lb Munich. Hopped with 1oz Mt Hood and 1oz Tettnang...using WLP300. Going to be adding the zest of 1 large (and I mean large, about the size of a baseball) lemon and one large orange at flameout.

The next brew is going to be similar except I think I may use a different wheat/grain ratio, and I plan on using Maris Otter...lets say 7lb Wheat, 4-5lb Maris Otter. And I plan on using Hallertau hops. I have also tossed around the possibility of adding some raspberry extract...for a raspberry wheat beer.

Thanks again for all your help.

Latest posts

Back