Cherry Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
I have a can of Oregon Cherry Puree, and a 7lb bucket of extra light LME sitting on top of my kegerator.

Suggestions on what recipe to brew?

No stouts or porters please. I just made a stout, a porter, weizen, and an IPA. So i'm looking for something a little different then those. Im just very indecisive and would like some suggestions.

Please post me some recipes!!

Cherry puree would be pretty good in a Hefeweizen, but you'd need a different extract.

Or, you could get some honey, meads are just about my favourite.

Maybe, a light ale, with about half of that can of puree. You'd need a pound or so of some light crystal malt, because, in my opinion, fruit isn't good without some residual sweetness. (You could also try lactose or an artificial sweetner, too.)

steve

How about a cherry barleywine, like the one in Radical Brewing. Just brewed another barleywine, and one from the book no less - not the cherry one though. So they're on my mind.
My plan is brewing a cherry porter now, so when the cherries come in 2 months from now it will have been in the secondary a good while, then I'll add the cherries. Hopefully it will benefit from the time, I like fresh fruit - I make my own puree. Not knocking it though.
BTW If you want the recipe I'll post it, but barleywines aren't everyones cuppa' so I'll wait

Sounds good! Post up brotha. I was thinking maybe a belgian or something also. Has anybody ever added fruit to a belgian trippel? I have candy sugar in the cupboard and 2 packets of Safale S-33 that need to be used up too.

Sounds good! Post up brotha. I was thinking maybe a belgian or something also. Has anybody ever added fruit to a belgian trippel? I have candy sugar in the cupboard and 2 packets of Safale S-33 that need to be used up too.

14# Maris Otter
2# Aromatic Malt
.25# Carafa Malt
2# Barbados or o/semi-refined sugar

2oz Northdown Hops 90min
2oz East Kent Goldings EOB

Mash @ 153F for 60min
Into secondary add 8# sour cherries and 4# sweet dark cherries that have been frozen then thawed. Leave in for 2-8weeks or longer.

Yield:5gallons
OG: 1.095
ABV: 8.4-9.5%
IBU: 43
Yeast: Alcohol-tolerant english ale

That's it, again I have not made this so I can't vouch for it, but it sounds great. I have used a blend of cherries like this with good results, but puree should be fine/similar.

P.S. I was going to add fruit to half of the Belgian Tripel I have in the primary now but after tasting/checking it today it is tooooo good to split up. Which isn't to say you shouldn't - I was going to but will wait till next time.

I like the idea of fruit barleywines, my next one will DEFINITELY be this one or similar barleywine with fruit. I like barleywines, and my idea is to make a bunch every few batches for a while so I will have enough to be able to drink every so often but still have plenty that will age. So later I will have bottles that are 1year-old, 1.25years-old, 2years-old, 2.5, etc. Its like forcing myself to plan ahead, if that makes sense.

You could always brew a Magic Hat #9 clone, using the cherry to add the fruit flavor, rather than apricot.

I used cherry extract in the recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=186810&postcount=28 , but I see no reason you couldn't use the cherry puree, rather than extract.

The cherry in that #9 clone makes a very different beer, that was VERY good. :mug:

Back