Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I did my first 2 AG batches this weekend doing BIAB with a 7.5 G mash pot and a 15 G sparge pot and boiling in the mash pot. Both batches ended up with over a gallon of extra wort preboil. If any screenshots would be beneficial let me know.

1) I boiled them each for almost 30-45 minut es prior to starting the hop schedule. I'm hoping that did not eff anything up?

2) How in hell am I getting so much extra wort? I'm mashing for the correct time, and my grist seems to have plenty of room to move around.

3) I took a bunch of temp and hydro readings, everyone here talks about achieving so and so efficiency, and I just guessed at 70% for these, but what can I do now to calculate efficiency (or some other 'brewhouse' or equipment variable in brewtarget) and get some more accurate data as well as possibly use less strike and sparge water or something, or not have to boil for so long?

Ok so I did my first 2 AG batches this weekend doing BIAB with a 7.5 G mash pot and a 15 G sparge pot and boiling in the mash pot. Both batches ended up with over a gallon of extra wort preboil. If any screenshots would be beneficial let me know.

1) I boiled them each for almost 30-45 minut es prior to starting the hop schedule. I'm hoping that did not eff anything up?

2) How in hell am I getting so much extra wort? I'm mashing for the correct time, and my grist seems to have plenty of room to move around.

3) I took a bunch of temp and hydro readings, everyone here talks about achieving so and so efficiency, and I just guessed at 70% for these, but what can I do now to calculate efficiency (or some other 'brewhouse' or equipment variable in brewtarget) and get some more accurate data as well as possibly use less strike and sparge water or something, or not have to boil for so long?

1) Nope. As long as the extra boil was done before the hop schedule.

2) Dialing in your equipment is always a pain. Most likely, you don't have as much dead space in your mash tun as you have configured. On the equipment editor, adjust your lauter dead space until you get a better answer.

3) The software doesn't calculate actual efficiency in v1.2.3 but it does in v.1.2.4. There are a number of changes in v1.2.4 that can help in tracking the amount of wort gathered at each stage, for example. Try it and see if it helps you dial in your kit.

Mik

Mik

Is there a way to update the default brewday instructions? It's kind of a pain to customize every new recipe. I could not find it in the xml files.

Did my first recipe last night, great program, efficient, clean looking, uncluttered and easy to use.
I've tried several peices of software and many of them are trying to do way too much and be everything to everyone, maybe that caters to the pro brewers but I work in a hardcore IT sector and uncluttered efficient software, in my opinion, is always the best.

Great job.

The link for 1.2.4 is dead and I can't seem to find it. can someone correct the link on the first post?

I just made a small 3 gallon 100% wheat beer from this software. It seems to have been accurate but I did find some bugs that I would like to report.

Is Brewtarget portable? I often do my brew day planning on my PC, and then fire up my old laptop and use that at my brew station. And I often sneak a few minutes at work to plan future brews as well. It would be nice if I could have Brewtarget on my thumb drive so I wouldn't need to install it on 3 computers. I especially don't want to install it on my work PC. ;-)

If it's not, could it be made portable? I know nothing about coding...maybe this would require a total re-write? :confused:

It is now. It will even save your recipes back to your thumb drive. Let me know if you have any issues with it.

Thanks NoTrubble! That's pretty slick. I'll try to play around with it this weekend and make sure everything is working as expected. But so far so good! :mug:

trying to add sorghum extract and dried rice extract to the brewtarget fermentables database. anybody know the properties for those two? thanks in advance.

It is now. It will even save your recipes back to your thumb drive. Let me know if you have any issues with it.

Brew Target Portable by No Trubble

:off: Does Brewtarget take grain absorption into account when formulating water volumes? if so, is there a tab I'm missing somewhere that I can adjust this according to my setup? also, what is the difference between "all grain ideal" and "all grain 10g cooler setup"?

thanks,

:off: Does Brewtarget take grain absorption into account when formulating water volumes? if so, is there a tab I'm missing somewhere that I can adjust this according to my setup? also, what is the difference between "all grain ideal" and "all grain 10g cooler setup"?

thanks,

Yes, brewtarget does take absorption into account. On the most recent versions (this is an old thread, so I'm not sure if you are still using v1.2.3 or not), it is the third field from the bottom on the equipment editor.

I believe the difference between the two profiles is that the "ideal" profile has no kettle to fermenter losses.

Mik

Just a tip about Brewtarget, if you use Dropbox you can set your recipes.xml file to save in the dropbox folder and then access it from any computer. That way you can use your laptop outside to access the realtime recipe database without having to manually sync the files.

I wish Brewtarget had a "discard changes" option. Right now, if you muck up a recipe you have to close and quit without saving to discard changes.

I wish Brewtarget had a "discard changes" option. Right now, if you muck up a recipe you have to close and quit without saving to discard changes.

Getting there, I promise.

Being able to implement an "undo" stack was one of the main arguments to replace the XML files with an sqlite database. It likely won't make the next major release (v2.1) but I am hoping we will have it somewhere around v2.2

Mik

Back