Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is deprecated. Please see the 1.2.4 thread.

This is the release of Brewtarget 1.2.3. As always, it's completely free and open source (donations very much appreciated!). It works on linux, windows, mac, and more. It's compatible with recipes by software that use BeerXML like Beersmith.

Download it here: http://www.brewtarget.org

Windows Installation
Unzip to wherever. Right click "brewtarget.exe" and then "Send to desktop" or any other method to make a shortcut on your desktop. If you want to quickly move your old recipes to this new version of brewtarget, navigate to the old brewtarget folder, and copy the old recipes.xml file to the new brewtarget folder.

Mac Installation
Unzip the app to the Desktop. You need to have the Qt 4.6.3 (or greater) runtime library installed. Go here: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads then LGPL, then Framework Only. If you want to quickly move your old recipes to this new version of brewtarget, right click on the old brewtarget icon, then "show package contents" then copy Contents/Resources/recipes.xml to Contents/Resources/recipes.xml in the new package.

Linux Installation
Download the .deb or .rpm and install as usual (64-bit packages available here). You need to install the libraries for Qt 4.6 or above, as well as Phonon. If you can't use the binaries, you probably want the .tar.bz2 download, which is the source. The build process is the standard "./configure && make && make install". You don't need to do anything to move your old recipes.

Getting Started
Before you do ANYTHING, please go through the example recipe in About->Manual. This example tries to hit on all the features and how to use brewtarget in general.

Ongoing Translations
We currently have support for several different languages, but I need help translating to other languages. You only need to be fluent in both English and another language. You need no programming experience. Keep in mind that you have to know all the beer jargon like "wort," "hops," "decoction," etc. If you're interested in doing this for a language, PM me your email address, and I'll send you more details. There's no deadline; you just work on it when you have time.

Bug Reports/Feature Requests
If you have a
sflogo.php
account, please report any bugs or feature requests on our feature tracker. Otherwise, just post them on here.

Want to Help Out?
Get an account at sourceforge.net and PM me if you want to be a developer on the project. C++ experience is required. If you do not already know what the phrase "model-view-controller" means, then you are probably not ready yet. Otherwise, you are welcome to use subversion to check out and modify the current code. If you modify the code and want to submit the changes, just let me know.

Anyway, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
On mac as soon as I try to resize the screen it jumps to the left and then locks itself from being resized again

rocketman,

I can't think of the words to say that express my gratitude for your work on this project. I have only done 4 all grain batches, and they all worked out almost exactly as I expected thanks to Brewtarget.

I raise a glass to you!!!

2011-03-21%2000.23.36.jpg

I have lots of leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage from tonight's gathering if you want to come by.....:mug:

SLAINTE!!!!

rocketman,

I can't think of the words to say that express my gratitude for your work on this project. I have only done 4 all grain batches, and they all worked out almost exactly as I expected thanks to Brewtarget.

I raise a glass to you!!!

I have lots of leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage from tonight's gathering if you want to come by.....:mug:

SLAINTE!!!!

That is one awesome pic! Haha, I wish I could just drop by Colorado...corned beef + cabbage + beer is appealing to me Irish side :mug:

Maybe a stupid question, but if I added some ingredients (yeast and grain) In my 1.2.2 version, should I copy the 1.2.2. database, or go through the xml and add it to the 1.2.3. file? I guess I am asking if there have been updates to the ingredients section? Let me know if I am not making sense

Maybe a stupid question, but if I added some ingredients (yeast and grain) In my 1.2.2 version, should I copy the 1.2.2. database, or go through the xml and add it to the 1.2.3. file? I guess I am asking if there have been updates to the ingredients section? Let me know if I am not making sense

Nevermind, i guess that is all tracked in recipes.xml? Cause that is the only thing I copied over and it looks like everything is there.

Down loaded the new version for Mac 10.6 and I have few comments/observations:

1. I like the tabs for extras and brewday

2. In the Mac version i can not resize the main window. It will only move between 5 to 6 inches wide.

3. Would like to see a way to keep track of actual numbers (OG, SG, FG) for each time I brew a recipe without having to add another version of the recipe to the list.

Love the software. Keep up the good work.

p.s. if you get really ambitious you could make a way to sync to ipod or android. You know build recipe on the computer and use the ipod/phone on brewday.

2. In the Mac version i can not resize the main window. It will only move between 5 to 6 inches wide.

3. Would like to see a way to keep track of actual numbers (OG, SG, FG) for each time I brew a recipe without having to add another version of the recipe to the list.

Love the software. Keep up the good work.

p.s. if you get really ambitious you could make a way to sync to ipod or android. You know build recipe on the computer and use the ipod/phone on brewday.

For #2, see above posts.

#3 is the focus of the next version. Brew logs and keeping track of your performance on your batches.

For the last one, yep. Definitely going to integrate brewtarget with Dropbox or something similar so that you can open it from whichever device and always see the same recipes.

Firstly, thanks for the great software Rocketman.

My question is regarding beer/grain colour. For a while now I've been trying to get my head around EBC/SRM/Lovibond. It seems that a lot of the time people assume SRM and Lovibond are the same thing. But from what I've been reading they are two different things, although they do agree quite closely at the low end, ie for pale colours. Looking at the Brewtarget fermentables database I see that you list the SRM colour for Crystal malts as the same as their lovibond rating, eg Crystal 120L = 120 SRM. Could you give me a quick run down on how Brewtarget handles these colours.

The main reason I ask is because here in New Zealand most of our malts come from Europe and the spec sheets tend to specify colour in EBC. But I tend to brew recipes from US sources (Brewing Classic Styles in particular) where colour is specified in Lovibond. I would love to get a definitive answer on how I should go about converting these EBC values for use in Brewtarget.

(BTW I tried changing the settings in Brewtarget to use EBC for colour but everything is still listed as SRM)

Thanks a lot
Andy

Could you give me a quick run down on how Brewtarget handles these colours.

I'll break down all the calculations:
MCU (malt color units) = X (lb/gal) * Y (MCU/(lb/gal))
X is the concentration of the grain in the batch
Y is the Lovibond color.
==Morey==
SRM = 1.4922 * MCU^0.6859
==Daniel==
SRM = 0.2 * MCU + 8.4
==Mosher==
SRM = 0.3 * MCU + 4.7

The main reason I ask is because here in New Zealand most of our malts come from Europe and the spec sheets tend to specify colour in EBC. But I tend to brew recipes from US sources (Brewing Classic Styles in particular) where colour is specified in Lovibond. I would love to get a definitive answer on how I should go about converting these EBC values for use in Brewtarget.

(BTW I tried changing the settings in Brewtarget to use EBC for colour but everything is still listed as SRM)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but SRM and EBC refer to the color of the finished beer only (which is why they are defined by the absorbance at 430 nm of the beer itself). As far as I know, they do not measure the color potential of the grain. This is why when you select the EBC option, what changes in brewtarget is the number on the color display for the recipe.

To be honest, I'm not sure what European malts are using to show color potential. Is it something like MCUs / (kg/L) or something? Someone who has more experience should comment here.

How is the Rager IBU formula being calculated? When I enter hop additions for 0.00 seconds I am getting some IBUs. Shouldn't it be 0? I'm trying to accurately adjust some recipes from Brewing Classic Styles and they user rager.

LOVE the Scale recipe in this version! Thanks rocketman!

How is the Rager IBU formula being calculated? When I enter hop additions for 0.00 seconds I am getting some IBUs. Shouldn't it be 0? I'm trying to accurately adjust some recipes from Brewing Classic Styles and they user rager.

LOVE the Scale recipe in this version! Thanks rocketman!

Thanks!

The Rager calculations are being done according to http://realbeer.com/hops/FAQ.html

The formulas are (from brewtarget's source code):
Code:
utilization = (18.11 + 13.86*tanh((minutes-31.32)/18.17)) / 100.0;
if( wort_grav > 1.050 )
   gravityFactor = (wort_grav - 1.050)/0.2;
else
   gravityFactor = 0;
IBU = (hops_grams*utilization*AArating*1000)/(finalVolume_liters*(1+gravityFactor));

So yeah. If you plug in 0 for the "minutes," you will get 5% utilization. Rager's approximation doesn't actually go to 0 IBUs if you put in hops for 0 minutes.

So yeah. If you plug in 0 for the "minutes," you will get 5% utilization. Rager's approximation doesn't actually go to 0 IBUs if you put in hops for 0 minutes.

Ya that makes sense. The IBUs are matching "Brewing Classic Styles" recipes for all the other additions. I guess when they wrote the book they edited the 0 min additions to read as 0 IBUs. :mug:

Any chance you could port it over for use on BlackBerries? Compatibility with the OS version 5.x would be sweet...

Ain't happening for a variety of reasons, but for Playbook and future blackberry devices it should be no more complicated than Android... finally.

very nice!

I am having an issue with the new brewday mode.
If I generate a new step, the instructions I type in keep disappearing if I move away from the step I just created. The step is still there, just not the instructions.

very nice!

If I generate a new step, the instructions I type in keep disappearing if I move away from the step I just created. The step is still there, just not the instructions.

Same here.

very nice!

Alright, I see it. Thanks for the bug report and I'll fix it ASAP.

Can i assume, based on the simple install instructions, that brewtarget could be unzipped to a usb stick and run from there?

i've actually already done this and it seems to be working, just wanted to ask if you thought there might be any foreseeable problems.

Thanks so much for this software!

Can i assume, based on the simple install instructions, that brewtarget could be unzipped to a usb stick and run from there?

i've actually already done this and it seems to be working, just wanted to ask if you thought there might be any foreseeable problems.

Thanks so much for this software!

Perfectly fine. In fact, if you want to have some more fun, put brewtarget in a Dropbox.com folder and now you can have your recipes and stuff synched over multiple computers!

I just installed this on my Ubuntu machine. It seems to be behaving very well. I have not played with it much (it was literally installed five minutes ago) but it looks really good. I was despairing of ever finding a decent beer recipe calculator that would work on Ubuntu. So thank you very much.:mug:
This is great.:ban:

You guys, you have to check this out. This guy modified Brewtarget to send recipes to his automated brewing system. Skip to 6:00.

Last edited by a moderator:
After creating a recipe with brewtarget and performing a 2 step mash setup, the mash wiz tells me that my initial infusion is a little over a cup, and the second infusion is 1.5 cups, while my mash out is 5 gallons. How do I get mash wiz to fix this?

I have to say that so far I love this program!
Just brewed my AIPA today after forming the recipe on brewtarget. The color was dead on, and the actual OG was only .002 less than what brewtarget predicted!
Great program!

That was pretty cool.
Quick question about sparging. Does Brewtarget have a capability to calculate fly sparging? I didn't see it.

Subscribed...

I have the same problem.

Same here on Mac.

Also, dumb question: when setting up the mash equipment, whats the difference between the mash volume and mash mass?

I'm using a 10 gallon rectangle cooler for my mash tun. I entered 10 gallons for the volume, but what would I enter for the mass?

Thanks!

Back