American Stout experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandcalvert

Reaction score
I put this together on Beersmith to see if I could build a beer based solely on the ingredients descriptions and what I had available. I will be bottling this this weekend and will come back to here and put more tasting notes.
I had access to a bunch of honey so I used 4lbs to bring up the ABV and to try and get some honey flavor. In the end I would say the honey should be added to the fermenter after the boil not during at all. I know the next time I brew this I will cut the cara-pils down, I think I went a little heavy.
I am open to all comments and really am looking for suggestions to make this better the next time. Grains to add and what not.

6.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 51.06 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.13 %

1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 47.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.50 %] (45 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

4.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 34.04 %

1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Also, I had a huge erruption during the 2nd and 3rd days of fermenting and lost all my dry hops so after racking added them again.

sorry to bump this, but any news on how this came out? i have all of those grains and some yeast i could use for this, plus i do love stouts...

no problem, I was wondering if this had just been forgotten on here.
I have since brewed this three times, each time changing a little, I think the first was the best. So, Really watch the fermementer chances are it will blow the top, did on all three, and make sure to dry hop the secondary not primary.
taste is a little bitter(this really is more like a dark IPA in the end) take out some of the bittering hops if you don't want that. I thought it was a good balance. Has a smooth slightly thick mouth feel, and the aroma is great.
I didn't do the best record keeping with my photos so I think this is a picture of the finished product, and this is the first blow out.
If you brew this please let me know how it goes

DSC01063.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

Back