Spare Change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took a big bag of spare change to the CoinStar machine in one of our grocery stores last weekend - turns out it was a little over $140. Amazon.com has a deal with them where they don't charge you any fees if you convert the money to an amazon gift card. So I just picked up a new 210,000 BTU Banjo Cooker for "free" plus have $75 left to blow...

Here's a co-incidence; my wife just did the same today, got like $120. You weren't with her, were you? :mad: :confused:

The pisser, though - the machine got stuck, so she couldn't get Amazon credit - it gave her the cash instead (less the 9% charge). Friggin' friggers.

Incidentally, I noticed that you can buy organic hops from Amazon now. Don't remember the quantity, but it was a selection of different types for like $12. I have some other money to spend at Amazon from credit card rewards, I'm going to pick up some hops and a hardcopy (finally) of Palmer's book.\

EDIT: Eight ounces for $12.50.

B000FH3TPG.01-A1MNS70J4DX7K0._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54249950_.jpg

No, wasn't with your wife... was with two unruly children. heh

I'm actually looking around now for some new beer goggles... er, glasses. I meant glasses...

Are you saying you would need beer goggles to hang out with bird's wife?

That is not very nice!

the_bird said:
Incidentally, I noticed that you can buy organic hops from Amazon now.
Those look like packaging for www.breworganic.com - or 7 Bridges Co-Op as they call themselves. I've been doing their kits for a while and I think that they are absolutely, hands down the best out there. All their stuff is organic - except the Irish Moss. :) The ingredients are always fresh as hell and the recipes are very solid. They aren't as cheap as a lot of places out there but that really doesn't bother me - if I were into this hobby to pinch pennies I'd still be kegerator-less and all-grain-less!!

Regardless, their stuff is highly recommended!

I thought this was going to be about those folks who are asking for "spare change". Does anybody ever really have spare change? I'm sorry but I have had loads of "visitors" come by this season asking for "spare change".

I used an empty 5 gal spakle bucket to collect change for about 18 months before I brought it to the bank and fed it into their machine. Anyone wanna guess how much?

Boy, that bag my wife had wasn't THAT big, and it was more than $100. How full was the bucket? I can't imagine it being FULL when you brought it to the bank... so how many gallons of spare change do you think you had?

I know a few people who've filled 5 gallon water bottles. They are heavy mofo's, and ALL have been over $900. Good days work!!!!!!

Fiery Sword said:
I know a few people who've filled 5 gallon water bottles. They are heavy mofo's, and ALL have been over $900. Good days work!!!!!!
No joke. My mom has 4 of those 5 gallon water jugs filled up. I keep telling her that they're not doing much good sitting in the basement. She says they're part of the inheritance. :drunk:

My guess was based on the quart size jar I took the other day for $53.14. Nothing like rolling over some change into some more brewing gear.

trinitone said:
How about $1062.80?

DING DING DING.......well not exact but holy crap whatta guess! $1089.55 It paid for 2 round trip airfares to Bermuda, I love flying for pennies.

Cool Hand said:
DING DING DING.......well not exact but holy crap whatta guess! $1089.55 It paid for 2 round trip airfares to Bermuda, I love flying for pennies.

You must have had a high silver to copper ratio than I did. (Color, mind you, not material.) Mmmm... Bermuda.

Back