Help with Mash tun build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
I was going to follow this video

One comment was that the bass has lead in it and could one day give lead poisoning? Do you guys use brass to make your mash tun?

Also when I went to the hardware store they had PVC ball vales would those work?

Any tips on making one of these please let me know!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also making my first tun. I have done a lot of research and found many people use brass. You can easily treat it to remove any lead that may come in contact with your wort. Here is a section copied out of Palmer's book on how to do this:

"Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution."

Here is a link to that section:

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

I would hesitate to use PVC with some of the temps you will be dealing with.

Good luck!

CPVC is a better choice than PVC...

Pickling the brass (ie: Marsdude's post) is a good idea...

If you are really, REALLY concerned, and have the disposable income, you can always go full stainless...

:mug:

well I got mine done today

44974_829135972930_22925584_46548597_6206658_n.jpg

Made it for under 50$

if you're making it yourself, you should use cpvc. i did. it's more resistant to breakdown, so it lasts way longer

I've used a bras. Ball valve the pass two years without treating. I'll let you know how I'm doing in a few years:D It is my last peice to upgrade to stainless.

if you're making it yourself, you should use cpvc. i did. it's more resistant to breakdown, so it lasts way longer

that is cpvc :mug:

I washed the brass in white vinegar

Also I cut slots in the bottom with a jigsaw. I could move them so they are facing up if i wish. I hear you can get better efficiency with them facing up.

I think the problem with brass is the acidity of the wort. Not sure if it's low enough to be a concern until the yeast create alcohol and you add CO2 though. And you need to factor in contact time. It may take a WHILE before any lead is leeched from the brass, especially after pickling.

Back