Tranfer to fermentaion bucket.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Ok so I'm just curoius that when tranfering wert to fermentation I should syphon it into ther fermentartion bucket correct? Cause the guy at my local home brew shop says its ok to pour it in....

It really doesn't matter either way.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches.

Everything is fine, it won't affect the beer one way or another. It will settle down anyway.

I prefer to syphon out of the kettle into the fermenter. I know stuff will settle out if I pour it, but it minimizes how much sediment I can potentially/accidentally stir up later. Just a personal preference. I like the paint strainer idea. May have to give that a shot.

I like to pour it through a fine mesh strainer for two reasons - I like to keep as much of the break material and hops out of the fermenter as possible and I figure this is a good way to add some oxygen back to the wort.

I like to pour it through a fine mesh strainer for two reasons - I like to keep as much of the break material and hops out of the fermenter as possible and I figure this is a good way to add some oxygen back to the wort.

I do the same thing for the same two reasons.

Would it be overkill to siphon and strain? Run the hose into a strainer and funnel to let it run into the carboy. I'm thinking this would not only make less mess but would help add oxygen to the wort.

I pour it in, leaving only the most obvious trub in the boil kettle.

For aeration, I use a stone and an oxygen bottle.

Back