very low to now carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
So we tried our new brew last night, an American wheat, and there was very little carbonation in the bottle. I am a little confused because I am pretty sure we did everything right.

Boiled 1 cup water for 10 mins, then added 5 oz (weighed) of priming sugar, boiled another 5 mins. Let cool to 70 degrees, added to the bottom of the bucket. Racked on top of priming solution and made sure it entered the bucket to create a slow swirling effect. Tried our first one 1 week, 5 days after bottling. I realize this is a LITTLE early, but should still show some more carbonation right?

Maybe I should have slowly stirred it after racking on top? please help!!

Thanks

The only thing I have ever done differently than what you describe would be to pour the sugar into the already swirling beer in the bucket once there's a few inches in the bottom. This is what I'd recommend.

That said, I think what you have done is actually just fine (I have done it myself, many times) and will produce the expected results after some more time.

I have had batches that take over three weeks to carbonate "properly", and a month is really best both for carbonation and flavor profile.

Relax! It's going to work out great!

Everything sounds right. What temperature were the bottles sitting at for those 12 days? If it was cooler than 70, it might take longer to carbonate. Plus, if the yeast was dormant (or at least tired) after fermenting and flocculating, it might take a few more days to wake them up and get them to work carbonating the bottles.

I always hear the answer "Patience," and that's what I will offer you here.

Greg

I realize this is a LITTLE early, but should still show some more carbonation right?
It's not a little early, It's A LOT EARLY.

The bare minimum for most average grav beers is 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

Gravity and storage temp are the biggest factors in carbonation/conditioning times...Less than seventy severely slows down the yeast...2 degrees may seem like nothing to us, but to micro-organisms that could be like 10.

ALL beers will reach their level of carbonation eventually. In fact, it's possible (and proven by running the numbers in beersmith) to NOT add priming sugar and get minimal carbonation/style of a few volumes in time (in old brewing british brewing books they didn't add sugar to some ordinary bitters, and milds and relied on time and temp to do the work naturally.)

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

There's even a nifty video in their of carbonation over the weeks.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

The only thing you did wrong, is having a lack of patience.

alright, so wait longer....deal. The bottles were stored around 73 degrees. Do not know if that makes any difference or not.

Thanks.

Back