Is This Fermentation schedule too hasty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
So I have about two weeks to make a beer. I was wondering if a beer at an OG of about 1043 will be ready by then? I was thinking 1 week in primary, and then one week in bottles. Has anybody ever done this hasty approach to brewing a quick beer before? results? dangers? Possible? BTW, I can get a nice slurry of yeast from my local brewery, so the yeast is going to be plentiful, healthy, and active. Here is the recipe Just in case anybody is curious

All Grain
5 Gallons
OG:1042
IBU: Around 30

6 lbs. 2 oz Marris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)
2 lbs. 6 oz. Rye Malt (Canadian)

.75 oz Northern Brewer Pellets (8.9%) @ 60 Mins.
.75 oz. Sterling Pellets (7%) @ 20 mins.
1 oz. Sterling Pellets (7%) @ 1 min.

Yeast: White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast

And if you have any left over after whatever shindig you're brewing for, they could turn into bottle bombs if one week isn't enough time for the yeast to attenuate.

The beer will probably be done, but good luck getting bottles to carbonate in a week.

+1. Make darn sure you reach your target FG, and stash the bottles somewhere really, really warm. It's gonna be cloudy, green beer, but as long as your processes are tight and you pitch a good slurry, it should be drinkable.

If you were kegging, I'd guess you could pull it off, especially with a healthy dose of clean yeast.

However, a week is a very short time to naturally carbonate bottles. - think that's the hitch in your plan.

think that's the hitch in your plan.

I think the real hitch in the plan is that regardless of how close this concoction comes to resembling a beer it will still be so green and nearly flat that anyone other than the brewer who tries it would rather drink ANYTHING else. The brewer being the exception because we are able to forgive many ills in our own brews.

A way to test this is to put some BMC alongside the home brew and see how many people grab a second homebrew versus switching to the BMC for their second beer. The end result is that any guest for whom this is their first experience with homebrew will think that all homebrew tastes like this nasty green murky stuff and won't want to repeat the experience.

Of course, this could be just me. I HATE green beer and would rather pour out one than choke it down.

If you are doing this for some event, are bottling, and the audience are people who aren't that knowlegable about beer, the best advice I can give you is...

GO buy some beer....

2 weeks is really not enough time, to make a tasty beer, even if you keg,you might be able to pull of a carbed green beer by then, but more than likely not anything too tasty.

If you are bottling forget it...the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we mention all over the place is just a generalization, a lot of beers take longer than that to carb, and carbed beer doesn't gaurentee it won't still taste like a$$....you can't make geen beer any less by just wishing it away....it still takes time.

Don't forget SOMETIMES fermentation doesn't even begin until 72 hours...it's called lag time....so that will eat into your "week of fermentation" you more than likely will be like everyone else said setting yourself up for bottle bombs at the worst, and cloudy yeasty tasting gunk at the best.

This isn't making koolaid, it's a natural living process....we are not in charge, the yeast are. Three days just isn't enough time...and honestly if you handed them subpar beer, let alone bottle bombs...then you would be doing a disservice to homebrewing, yourself and beer culture as a whole....

If you are serving green, yeasty, and nasty tasting beer to people who have never tasted homebrew then they won't understand..what it's supposed to taste like....

They will think that EITHER you suck as a brewer, ALL HOMEBREW SUCKS (and you'll prolly go blind anyway) or those BMC commercials were right, anything other than fizzy yellow beer, especially homebrew taste like a$$, and we should stick to bud light..."THat's what TV says, so it must be true, right?"

You won't be a great ambassador to the world of homebrewing beer you tried to rush through....and saying "Heh, it's just green, and not fully carbed yet, it will get better with time, really won't fly to someone who drinks bud with their born on dates."

We get variations of this all the time, someone wanting to rush the process so people at a party or gathering can taste the beer....

Even a Hef, if you are bottling, would take four weeks....

plan ahead next time, and if you are aiming ofr an even give yourself a nice window, let's say 2 months (so you can secondary or long primary your beeer to let it clear) and have time for carbing, and a window for conditioning time.

Sorry....but like I said, we are not in charge, the yeast is...they have their own timeframe.

Agreed, you're on too tight of a timeframe. However, am I right in thinking that a little over two weeks can be enough for a hef if it's warm enough to carb fast?

Back