Sweet sorghum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I was surfing the net trying to find some cheap orange blossom honey and ran across "Sweet sorghum". Seems it's made from grain as opposed to sugar cane. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? How does it taste? Very curious about it.

the taste is similar to molasses not the same but similar. It's very popular in the south. some use it like honey on bread.

Sorghum is the most common base for gluten-free beers. Every one I've tried has had a sweet after-taste, which might be fine in a mead-like beverage.

You can find beers made with sorghum in most liquor stores. I think Budweiser makes one, is it redbridge? Never tried them, but I see them a lot.

Zulu beer is normally made on Sorghum, a few people on here have done experiments with it, a bit like drinking sour alcoholic porridge I believe. When we were in Botswana they called it "shake shake" but unfortunately I didn't get to try it cos you need to go rural to get it and we were in the capital Gaberone.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've been reading up on sorghum lately. My first interest was in the sugar from the cane (to make rum), but now also have interest in the malt from the sprouted grain (to make beer). That interest was piqued by a very nice beer that came my way called Bard's. You'd be hard pressed to distinguish Bard's from a good, hearty ale from barley.

Back