Installing 240V in the garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenBoneBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, need your help today. I need to let the electrician know what style of 240V plug that I want installed in the garage and outback for the hottub. I plan on using both locations to brew and will be plugging into them both with the same extension cord. I not sure what NEMA ratings or amps (30A or 50A) to get. I was thinking that I turn and lock plug style would be good.

This a from the ground up build, starting with the house, then moving onto the BIAB brewing system later. So let your minds dream on this one.

Not sure about a plug suggestion, but most definatley 50a, you wouldn't need it for a biab system, but if you decided to do something later like a rimms system, you would have plenty of juice to run it without having to upgrade.

Not sure about a plug suggestion, but most definatley 50a, you wouldn't need it for a biab system, but if you decided to do something later like a rimms system, you would have plenty of juice to run it without having to upgrade.

That's what I was kinda thinking.

The 4 prong, 50a outlet would be most useful. Of course, that should be wired to cabling that can provide 50a capacity.

How does the 4 prong outltet work? Is it set up for different configurations of 3 prong plugs?

plus it could run a welder when you start building all sorts of fun stuff

Did not think about that, but I am now. Are Lincoln and Miller TIG's typically 4 prong?

4 prong outlet is 2 hots (180 degrees apart), one neutral, and one ground. The only thing that will plug into it is a 4 prong plug, you can get adapters to plug 3 prongs into it as the 3 prongs only have 2 hots and a ground.

4 prong outlet is 2 hots (180 degrees apart), one neutral, and one ground. The only thing that will plug into it is a 4 prong plug, you can get adapters to plug 3 prongs into it as the 3 prongs only have 2 hots and a ground.

Thanks for clearing that up. The 240V line coming to the house is going to be single phase correct? Also, if I wanted to run a 120V power tool or element off the 240V line, I could just use a transformer or converter?

Thanks for clearing that up. The 240V line coming to the house is going to be single phase correct? Also, if I wanted to run a 120V power tool or element off the 240V line, I could just use a transformer or converter?

You can use one of the hot legs and the neutral to create some 120V outputs in your control panel.

Latest posts

Back