Favorite session style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
As home brewers, it's our privilege and right to make whatever we damn well please. I've been reading this board for the past few months and seen discussions on fruit beers, imperial stouts, IIPAs, vanilla bourbon porters, crystal clear delicate lagers, Belgian strong ales, cedar-flavored smoked beers...you name it.

When you want to take a rest from the interesting and challenging beers, though, what's your "go to" session style? I'm thinking of the one you make every couple of months so you have a solid pipeline of quaffable suds on hand.

For me, it's a mid-range APA with good, but not overpowering, hop aroma. Coming in close second is an ESB with just that right mixture of British malt and hops.

Just finished my mild an hour or so ago. Luckily I have another keg ready to go! Have to love a good mild...

ESB, my favorite drinking beer. First thing I order at a bar. Hard to find a really good one though. Of course Fullers has the best, but Stoudts has a great one too. We brew one at least once every two months.

Hefe - quick, easy, SWMBO's favorite. IPA of course. Also going for second try at an Ordinary bitter. I think the first one got contaminated with a little wild yeast.

Not to be to ignorant but whats an example of a Mild??

Not many commercial examples make it stateside, but Moorhouse Black Cat and Theakston's Traditional Mild I've seen in my bottle shop a few times.

As far as HB examples, I have a recipe in my pull-down that is perpetually on tap here.

My simple American Wheat is the ticket for the session beer. About 4.5% very smooth but with enough body to keep you interested. Low bitterness, big crowd pleaser, and you can take down a pint in about 4 drinks without even trying. Perfect after some yard work or a hard bike ride!

11g batch:
10# pale malt
7# wheat malt
1/2# Crystal 15L

1 oz. Sterling - 60m
1 oz. Tettnang - 30m
1 oz. Tettnang - 5m

Wyeast 1010 or 2565 (Am. Wheat or Kolsch) - I do one in each carboy just for a bit of variety
Note: If you want a clear american wheat beer, use 2 whirlfloc tabs or the appropriate amount of Irish Moss. Age for 4 weeks after kegging/bottling, or until you get the desired clarity.

It's a toss up between my Saison or APA. I try to have at least one of them on at all time.

Still working on a house bitter below 4% ABV.

Drinking a semi-flat one right now - 3.9% and I'm gettin' there. Much better than my first, really-boring EPA malt/Goldings SMaSH with 1098 (which was a bad choice in that case).

I like the low ABV beers because I love drinking beer and loathe hangovers.

I like the low ABV beers because I love drinking beer and loathe hangovers.

Amen to that. I just had my first true hangover in a while and I must say I am not a fan.

I love all things English so I would have to say my Mild which is carbing up right now.

Mild, followed closely thereafter by Bitter.

:D

Same here, I loves me some Mild.

Same. Mild and Bitter, or Bitter and Mild. Session beer is about drinking pints and pints of product while shooting the breeze with friends. Much easier with a 3 %- 3.5% Mild or Bitter than a 6% IPA.

:mug:

Back