Got my counter flow finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachatola

Reaction score
First off ive gotta give much thanks to Bobby_M for his sweet writeup on his Counter flow build, listing all the parts was a HUGE help.

I started stock piling all the parts i would need for my counter flow a while ago and found that "rubber hose" mentioned in Bobbys post has really gotten expensive, i was unable to find 25' rubber hose only 50' and that to the tune of about 66-70 bucks for the hose. Needless to say i decided to look at other options. Since i knew my water was not going to be in contact with my wort, i wasn't worried about the type of hose, only that it be able to support high temps. What i settled on was 5/8 ID automotive heater hose. This will be more than enough to support high temps since that is basically what it is designed to do. Price.....99cents a foot. i got 30' the extra ill use in my auto projects.

Copper via coppertubingsales.com 50' 3/8 price (for an update) $ 51 shipped to WA.

Since i didn't have the already crimped ends from a garden hose, i chose to get 24" of 1/2" copper tubing which i used the extra to make some garden hose attachments (you can see my inlet and exit connections)

Those were the basic deviations from Bobbys design, I also did a few practice runs (1/2 copper with 1/2 - 1/2 couplers) on sweating copper to try to make sure i had a good joint when i did start working on my finished product. Practice apparently paid off, not a single leak.

here it is.... i havent had a chance to try it yet, but i cant imagine it will work any less than i expect.

DSCF0660.JPG

DSCF0658.JPG

DSCF06591.JPG

Yea give or take about 80-90, with the misc fittings, and like 4 bucks for the 2' - 1/2 copper stick. Granted, i still have another 25' of copper too, so i could recuperate some of my costs that way as well, or i could do an immersion chiller too....

Back