Northern Brewer Petite Saison d'Ete recipe (Summer Saison)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadiBrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the Northern Brewer summer saison recipe? I'm looking for a simple, lower gravity saison for a lawnmower beer. The NB recipe looks to fit that bill with just Pilsner, Vienna and torrified wheat as the malt bill, and EKG, Styrian and Saaz as the hops. If not, any have a tried and true, low gravity, not too complex saison recipe they like?

I've done several Saison kits from Austin Homebrew and I've been happy with them.

The Summer Saison is my favorite, but 6.8% might be higher than you are looking for.

The Pacific Saison was also great, as was their general Saison, at 5.2% and 5.5% respectively.

Good luck!

Has anyone brewed the Northern Brewer summer saison recipe? I'm looking for a simple, lower gravity saison for a lawnmower beer. The NB recipe looks to fit that bill with just Pilsner, Vienna and torrified wheat as the malt bill, and EKG, Styrian and Saaz as the hops. If not, any have a tried and true, low gravity, not too complex saison recipe they like?

It was one of the first brews/kits I made, and it was awesome. I bumped the abv and dried it out a little with some candi sugar, but obviously if you want lower abv, just make it as is. I actually made the extract version of it and it's still one of my favorite beers Ive made. In fact, I think Ive done this kit twice now, thinking about it.

Yes I have. In fact my local club (the Manty Malters) did a whole competition using this recipe a couple years ago. My version took 2nd if I recall correctly. They were all similar of course but we were allowed to add one secret ingredient. I believe mine was toasted oats, which no one could taste so it didn't do much. The guy who won added agave nectar. We all were required to use the Belle Saison yeast, and everyone raved about how great it turned out -- slight lemon citrus and black pepper but not overpowering. Both the winner and myself began fermentation in the mid to upper 60s and allowed to rise to a maximum of about 73-74 F. Both took almost a whole month to finish at about 1.002. Great recipe, and great yeast, that Belle Saison, we highly recommend it.

:mug:

Back