Brew Kettle for Multiple Uses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
How many of you use your brew kettle for other cooking purposes? I know many of us have multiple sizes of pots sitting around, and I am interested to see if anyone uses a brew pot to boil or steam seafood or cook a huge pot of beans. Would you expect to have off flavors in the beer you produce using the same pot for brewing?

I have a larger pot that I mainly cook seafood in but could use for a larger AG brew. I keep the pot clean, but have used many packs of cajun seasoning in it over the years in the many boils it has been used for. What are some thoughts around using this pot as a brew kettle?

I've used my boil kettle and HLT on occasion to cook soups and stews, gumbos, crawfish boils, etc. As long as you clean it really well, there is no flavor transfer. I'm not going to buy yet another kettle just for cooking...

:) When you think about it, how many (home) kitchens or restaurants do you suppose have dedicated utensils for each dish prepared?

How many of you use your brew kettle for other cooking purposes? I know many of us have multiple sizes of pots sitting around, and I am interested to see if anyone uses a brew pot to boil or steam seafood or cook a huge pot of beans. Would you expect to have off flavors in the beer you produce using the same pot for brewing?

I have a larger pot that I mainly cook seafood in but could use for a larger AG brew. I keep the pot clean, but have used many packs of cajun seasoning in it over the years in the many boils it has been used for. What are some thoughts around using this pot as a brew kettle?
My first "brew kettle" was a 6.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer. I made one batch of beer in it, but after the first turkey I deep fried in it, I could never get the Cajun spice smell out of it, so never did another beer in it. Stainless has been no problem, and before I switched to a keggle, I used an 8 gallon stainless pot for multiple functions with no problems.

I can stuff in mine, and I've made a few really big batches of vegetable broth, using a false bottom and the spigot to strain. Just scrub it clean and maybe boil a little water after rinsing.

Thanks for the quick replies. Mine is an aluminium pot that is well oxidized, but stained from cayenne pepper and paprika. It has been thoroughly cleaned. I'm thinking of just boiling water in it a couple of times to ensure any residual flavoring is definitely gone. I have not fried a turkey in this one, so no major concern there.

Mmmm just last week I did a low country boil in mine, and brewed a mild the next day. just gave it a good scrub in between

Used my moms aluminum soup stock pot on my first brew. The first batch of water boiled to remove chlorine pulled all kids of gunky stuff (food particles?) out of or off the aluminum! Second try boiling to remove chlorine was fine, beer was mediocre (fermented too hot) and I decided it was best to have a dedicated pot to be safe.

The only thing I do that requires my six gallon pot is brewing, so since last fall, I have had a single use pot. Prior to that, I was using a nicer four gallon stainless steel stockpot. That one still gets used for mashing, but also serves as a pot for stock, lobster boils, and an ice bucket for parties.

Sous Vide cooker (large beef in there, going overnight).
img_06561-51362.jpg

Lobster Boil

Last edited by a moderator:
Sous Vide cooker (large beef in there, going overnight).
img_06561-51362.jpg

Lobster Boil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX92SKmndEo

I've been wanting to do this myself!

I have a 5500 w element in my HLT, and a 4500 w in my BK. So it would be easy for me.

The issue is my husband. He thinks cooking in plastic (my bags via my foodsaver) can be an issue and will only eat things cooked in glass, or stainless.

I assume that you've done this a few times, and have no major brain damage to report?

Thanks again! I appreciate the differing responses. I am going to use it for now, just until I can decide on how large of a new pot I should purchase solely for brewing. I should have a good idea if there is any hint of cajun spice immediately after brewing. I may actually like it. I know there are a couple brews out there that intentionally spice it up (Cayenne Pepper Stout & Hydro Street Cayenne Pepper IPA)

60 quart minimum is what I am considering.

So far, I have only used my 'shared kettle' for strike and sparge water, and now plan to keep it that way to ensure not to impart any additional flavor during brewing.

Back