Project Hybrid- Wild Bottom Fermenting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since I got into brewing a few months ago, I've been fascinated with yeast strains and wild yeast, so a few weeks ago, I set up a lab to start to develop and culture wild yeast into suitable and mild strains. I've approached major yeast manufacturers, I will not name names, asking for any and all advice, suggestions, etc, and have received minimal results. After a lot of samples, I believe I have found a strain that is bottom fermenting, however it will take dozens of cultures to find a concentrated, alive, and suitable vial to start testing at lower temperatures and flavor wise. I could write pages about what I'm doing, but I'll try not to bore you.

I will post pictures on here occasionally of my progress and I may be offering free samples of the yeast away in return for a review and a profile.

All advice is appreciated, however anyone who is kind of enough to send me a sample from their part of the country, I would really appreciate it, please message me. Whether it's from local fruit, vegetables, honey, or you just leave a used vial of film canister of wort out, it can be really helpful in my search to find affordable yeast for home brewers. I promise to send a sampler of vials for free to anyone who sends me a sample from their part of the country, once I have a line set up.

Thanks,

I've approached major yeast manufacturers, I will not name names, asking for any and all advice, suggestions, etc, and have received minimal results. After a lot of samples, I believe I have found a strain that is bottom fermenting, however it will take dozens of cultures to find a concentrated, alive, and suitable vial to start testing at lower temperatures and flavor wise. I could write pages about what I'm doing, but I'll try not to bore you.

I will post pictures on here occasionally of my progress and I may be offering free samples of the yeast away in return for a review and a profile.

All advice is appreciated, however anyone who is kind of enough to send me a sample from their part of the country, I would really appreciate it, please message me. Whether it's from local fruit, vegetables, honey, or you just leave a used vial of film canister of wort out, it can be really helpful in my search to find affordable yeast for home brewers. I promise to send a sampler of vials for free to anyone who sends me a sample from their part of the country, once I have a line set up.

Thanks,

So, your goal here is to find affordable yeast for home brewers? I can't tell what you're trying to achieve here.

There's plenty of yeast in the world, but only some of it is useful for brewing. The only way to assess that is to brew with it. If you're not doing that, you don't have any idea it's suitability.

Look for the excellent videos by Neva Parker from White labs regarding this. If you're an AHA member, she has an audio-only available from the most recent NHC meeting. Great insight into the amount of science behind the diploid.

Here's one to get you started. (Plus, Neva is not so bad to look at).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vELwUsBmWQ

I'm really not sure what you're getting at either. Me and the Mrs. leave a hydrometer of full wort out on the counter and hope for a wild yeast to take ahold of, and we have succeeded. Not sure if it's wild yeast or random spores that may have been released when we rehydrated safale05 (not even sure if thats possible?) If you want a sample I'll be happy to send you some. It's been dormant in my fridge for a while, been meaning to brew with it but haven't had time.

Thanks, after tonights tests I may message you Phoenix.

And passed, I have listened to the Wyeast and Chris White interviews, but not the Neva Parker one. Appreciate the link

I have confirmed I have a viable, bottom fermenting yeast now. Tonight I will be setting up a beverage cooler with ice packs and test the yeast at 65 F, 60 F, 55 F, 50 F, and 45 F. I've got lots of different samples to test.

I started the tests about an hour ago and tested one of the four vials already- some light fermentation at 54 F and dropping. Possibly a suitable lager yeast. I will pitch a tube of it in a pint of wort tomorrow and ferment at 50 F and see what happens. Hopefully it's not sour, I'm sure there's some bretts in there contributing some sourness but I have no idea how to go about killing them and not the Saccharomyces

Back