Cheap Store Brand Oxyclean Left Film On Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTG

Farm Out!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA
So I bought Frys/Krogers oxygen cleaner thinking that it would be a good, cheaper alternative to Oxyclean. It is but is leaves a white film on the outside and the inside of the bottles. I think that a Starsan soak and brushing might help fix this but am looking for any other recommendations out there to remove this film.
Thanks,
GTG

It doesn't have anything to do with the cheap store brand. I used genuine oxyclean and have seen the same thing if the bottles stick partly out of the oxyclean solution or if the bottles have a bubble of air in them. I have heard that you can remove the film with acid like vinegar or probably muriatic acid, but in my case I just threw the bottles away because it wasn't worth the labor to get that annoying film off. It's quite tenacious. I still use oxyclean to clean bottles but no longer do oxyclean soaks for hours or days at a time.

My starter flask seems to have a permanent oc film on it. I've scrubbed with a brush and soap and hot water but it still remains. I've made at least 3 starters with it in there and it doesn't seem to matter.

I used Target brand Oxyclean and get the same deal. It doesn't work as well and leaves a white, tough film on all surfaces.

The solution (not my own, a genius here), is to take your carboy or whatever and fill it up with warm water and a few ounces of vinegar. Cleans right up.

Starsan worked for me the last time I got a film like that.
I used a little bit of vinegar the first time i saw it.

A rinse with anything mildly acidic will take it right off. Starsan, diluted vinegar, lemon water, etc.

Yup, any acid will do it. I starsan the bottles and they are good as new.

Has anyone ever noticed a off flavor by letting the oxyclean stay and not washing it off?

Has anyone ever noticed a off flavor by letting the oxyclean stay and not washing it off?

Yes, I have. Makes good beer bad in my opininon.

We have gallons of muratic acid on hand. Used a little bit in a cooler full of water, gave them a light scrub again to make sure and my film has gone away.

Thanks for all the replies and info y'all,
GTG

All oxyclean, not just "cheap store brands" can leave scale. There's hundreds of threads dicussing it, and it's not just because it was dollar store brand...

We call it scale, it's really common, it's just residue from the oxyclean as the water it's soaking in evaporates or reacting with minerals in the water. Usually a weak acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down. Then lots of rinsing.

Yep, it was a few days soaking. I'll plan better next time. I have muratic acid for the pool, I wonder what I can do with that?

GTG

I have the same problem with our highly alkaline water. I've used starsan to soak the bottles in to remove it, which works.

But I also have some muriatic acid and it works just as well. It doesn't take much to do the job either.

And you can also use it to remove most painted-on labels. Just soak overnight usually.

The issue is likely with your local water chemistry/hardness. Like everyone else said, acid will take it off.

PBW doesn't have this issue with hard water, FWIW. Has surfactants to keep the film from forming. Expensive compared to oxyclean, but worth the saved time and effort, IMO.

I have the same problem with our highly alkaline water. I've used starsan to soak the bottles in to remove it, which works.

But I also have some muriatic acid and it works just as well. It doesn't take much to do the job either.

And you can also use it to remove most painted-on labels. Just soak overnight usually.

We havevery alkaline water as well. I'm thinking now that I will continue to use the muratic for all bottle soaks from now on. Anyone have a good dilution rate?

GTG

I just had some diluted in a spray bottle for another project and I added some of that to a bucket of water. I don't know how much it ended up being, because I eyeballed for each dilution.

I can tell you it wasn't much, and after cleaning a bucket of bottles, my arms were slighty itchy/burny were I wasn't rinsing off with water while each bottles was rinsed.

Next I do this I'll try and remember to take measurements and note how well it works.

Back