Mint additions to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geobrewer85

Reaction score
Was just thinking about making a chocolate mint stout. Has anyone ever added mint to their beer? If so when do u add the mint? Is it like a dry hopping type deal or do u add it at the end of the boil?

The only recipes I've seen people happy with went more along the lines of using something like peppermint extract.

Ive had a Mint Porter before...They used real mint leaves and soaked them in vodka and added it to the secondary (or was it bottling time?). All I know is that it tasted great but the brewer said the flavor fades pretty fast, so aging is a no, no.
-Jeff-

I brew a chocolate mint milk stout, I use 1 oz of fresh mint leaves chopped and added to the boil in the last 5 minutes, and at kegging I use another 1 oz that I soaked in everclear to extract the mint flavor, strain through a coffee filter and into the keg it goes.

I really like the flavor, not overwelming like a thin mint, but more in the aroma and just a hint in background of the beer.

I have a peppermint baltic chocolate porter that has been aging since last Febuary that I am giving out as X-mas gifts. I sampled one a few weeks ago and the peppermint seems to have faded just a tiny bit, which is right were I wanted it. It tastes like a Mint chocolate Andie's candy mint. I used a little extract and some peppermint schnapps. I used a little of each and varied it to taste.

I just brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of chocolate mint stout using roughly this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/andes-mint-chocolate-stout-207277/ . I made a few tweaks and used pacman yeast harvested from a bottle of chocolate stout. I purchased that bottle because I made several mint teas, using extract, mint tea, peppermint tea, and fresh tea leaves then tried each in a little chocolate stout. Like the Andes recipe I settled on peppermint tea bags, I put 5 in a muslin bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil and the smell was great, the hydrometer sample also had a nice cooling mint taste. I also used 2.5 oz of all natural (not dutched) cocoa.

I have chocolate mint growing at my house. Defo going to make one of these next year.

Here is a good one:
With the addition of milk sugar I pretty much brew this dead nuts, except I split the roasted barley addition with roasted barley and debittered black malt, it gives a nice depth without getting bitter, since I brew a milk stout, I want the bitter on the down low.

Back