Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno I guess I'm not impressed much mainly because he's basically making a braggot well almost a braggot, too much beer not enough mead . . . .

I guess I was kinda hoping for ground breaking stuff not crap I have already done years ago

He's mixing Tej and a RIS. I'd say that is pretty well out of the mainstream.

Sam's Keanu Reeves mannerisms kinda bug me, but I'll get used to it I guess. Could have been much, much worse.

He's got an eclectic mix of brewing staff there.

The rap was stupid. Hope that isn't a continuing thread on the show.

Overall, I'm hooked. I'll continue watching.

I thought it was solid. They laced in quite a bit of brewing information. The only downside I foresee is that in future episodes I imagine there will be less brewing information and more "reality" situations. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I give it a 9 out of 10 as well.

why do they keep going bacdk to dogfishhead beer? around here only the hippy college kids drink it. i know it is a craft brew but it is ****ty beer!!! nobody around here that brew thier own like it at all. we all get the college kids to give us thier bottles and remove the labels.

honestly around here we liken dfh to the worst beer ever made. the only good think is the rich kids give us the bottles in trade for a few of our beers. the 90 minute ipa sucks donkey balls and the 60 minute blows dog balls. these guys need to relook at thier beers. they suck. there are several craft brews around here that blow them out of the water. the only reason the college kids buy it is because of the insane price!! if dfh closed tomorrow it would be better for the craft beer world honestly. they make ****ty beer all the way around.

why do they keep going bacdk to dogfishhead beer? around here only the hippy college kids drink it. i know it is a craft brew but it is ****ty beer!!! nobody around here that brew thier own like it at all. we all get the college kids to give us thier bottles and remove the labels.

honestly around here we liken dfh to the worst beer ever made. the only good think is the rich kids give us the bottles in trade for a few of our beers. the 90 minute ipa sucks donkey balls and the 60 minute blows dog balls. these guys need to relook at thier beers. they suck. there are several craft brews around here that blow them out of the water. the only reason the college kids buy it is because of the insane price!! if dfh closed tomorrow it would be better for the craft beer world honestly. they make ****ty beer all the way around.

Your mad at your father not at DFH he forgives you.

When you say "around here", I presume you are talking about "no where". Where exactly is that, since you brought it up?

nobody - they keep going back to DFH because Sam is the founder/owner. That's the premise of the show. You're allowed to dislike the beer, but you fail miserably at understanding reality television.

Also, do a little reading on how Sam Calagione has influenced the craft beer industry. You might be surprised.

I thought it was a decent first episode. Next week should be better. Less rap, please.

Your mad at your father not at DFH he forgives you.

seriously, whats with the angry.:mad:

hard to imagine anyone could be that passionately disdainful of a particular type of beer... I mean I dont even feel that angry about MGD 64, and its pretty much an abomination.

i know it is a craft brew but it is ****ty beer!!!

just out of curiosity, whats an example of a craft brew you do like?

Wow...this has to be the one of the worst posts I've ever seen. You're 36, but don't know the first thing about proper grammar. Way to make yourself sound like an ass.

By the way...if you don't like their beers, that's your problem. There's no need to slam one of the most influential craft breweries for doing something different. I'm not a fan of some of DFH's brews, but they're innovative. I have nothing but respect for Sam, regardless of whether I like his beer or not.

I am not sure what your rant is about. I have tasted many Dogfish Head beers and they are wonderful. Sam has been a major asset to the craft beer industry for many years.

I have not yet seen the show, but I am certainly glad to have a show about beer.

He could have just made it into a contest for a tour of the brewery like Willy Wonka did for the Chocolate Factory. You know his customers are beer geeks, noone who drinks DFH slugs it out of the bottle, so it's not like we'd swallow it. :D

He should just provide a round trip flight, hotel accomodations, tour of the brewery, yadda yadda if anyone finds it and turns it it.

I think were all thinking something along the lines. I thought they should've slapped a 'find the filler, win $1,000!" sticker on the quarantined cases. :p

Not a huge fan of DFH but I liked the show (and yeah, the rappin White Guyz was kind of silly) - liked the brewing info too. What I found ironic/funny was that right after they did the bit about market demographics (5% craft beer / 95% "big guys") was got a commercial for Blue Moon. :cross:

Still, I'll watch the guy every week. I like his attitude (and laughed when the test batch of Bitches Brew fermented out too dry... was thinking "told ya so"). :)

If it was a country song everyone would probably be saying, "awesome show and cool song at the end, hope they do that again." Well it was clearly a joke and a good one. Since they were working with a record company about the legacy of a musical artist a musical performance would be natural.
Plus a name like Bitches brew they did a rap video throwing hops all over the place and ****. I felt they could have done more to make it better like some actual bitches and hoes but it is the discovery channel, maybe next time. Quit hatin trickz.

Not a huge fan of DFH but I liked the show (and yeah, the rappin White Guyz was kind of silly) - liked the brewing info too. What I found ironic/funny was that right after they did the bit about market demographics (5% craft beer / 95% "big guys") was got a commercial for Blue Moon. :cross:

Still, I'll watch the guy every week. I like his attitude (and laughed when the test batch of Bitches Brew fermented out too dry... was thinking "told ya so"). :)

I thought it was funny about the blue moon commercial right after every episode to...I enjoyed the show and will tune in weakly.

keg kicked and watching right now yessss work is gonna rock tomorrow....you better find that vent tube *****!

couldn't really get into it. Felt like a docudrama and promotion to Dogfish. I would have rather seen that promotion spread to multiple breweries and what they beerlieve in.

looking forward to next weeks show - hoping this weeks was just an intro to the brewery and their characters.

Plus a name like Bitches brew they did a rap video throwing hops all over the place and ****. I felt they could have done more to make it better like some actual bitches and hoes but it is the discovery channel, maybe next time. Quit hatin trickz.

No, just....no.

No.

313345xteojo4h6h.gif

I see plenty of mixed reviews on here, but overall I had a positive impression from the show.

I dig Sam and his philosophy, and I think love him or hate him, if wasn't for him and others like him we wouldn't have such a great craft brew culture to take from.

Also, when you think about it if you don't like Sam or DFH, there's really no loss in it for you. At worst, more people will buy his beer, leaving more room on the shelves for your favorite beer. At best, it will inspire more people to take chances and start brewing and drinking better beer.

At the end of the day, if you didn't like it, you could always just brew a better beer and then they will give you a show :)

If it was a country song everyone would probably be saying, "awesome show and cool song at the end, hope they do that again." Well it was clearly a joke and a good one. Since they were working with a record company about the legacy of a musical artist a musical performance would be natural.

They have actually been doing the rap thing for a few years at least.

I really enjoyed the show. The rapping was a bit much but still kind of funny. Sam is surprisingly entertaining.

My only fear is I totally see this show headed towards "reality type" emergencies every week at the brewery and that could get annoying. I hope they keep it a good mix of informative and entertaining. Awesome to have a show about beer.

So freaking jealous of these guys. :mug:

I really enjoyed the show, it fits well for both brewers and beer drinkers. I can't criticize the episode for not enough geek info, they have to reach a larger audience and if a vent tube gets lost every week I'll enjoy watching them scramble. Start saving your spit for next week's episode, Cheers! ;]

OK this looks to be a "Clean" link to a stream of yesterday's episode.

http://willvideoforwings.com/brew-masters-season-1-episode-1-bitches-brew/

Looks like you just have to close the gray box that says advertisment and "close to play" on the bottom and it will play with no popups or quizes trying to get your email or wanting to load a player. And it got through my work firefall which is pretty high anyway. But as always use at your own risk.

Back