Grain mill roller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilotpistolpete

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I started brewing not too long ago and now moved on the AG. I've decided to make my own mill as I has access to all the tools I need. I just finished the rollers on the lathe.

My question is how the two rollers are spun during milling. My first thought was that one is used to drive while the other is loose on a bearing and spins when the other is turned.

However, after looking up some designs here, specifically Yuri's, I'm thinking on whether the one roller is fixed? Yuri's design seems to have the roller offset on the axis so he can adjust the distance. This would mean that it's fixed and doesn't rotate?

Hey everyone,

I started brewing not too long ago and now moved on the AG. I've decided to make my own mill as I has access to all the tools I need. I just finished the rollers on the lathe.

?

One of the guys on the Members of Barleyment list is making his own roller mill also. He is from Ottawa, perhaps you should get together and make one together.

Pete, make it gear drive since your building it.

Just make sure your gears mesh properly at a ROLLER setting of anywhere between .028 and .040

Here are some shots of mine.
We had the exact size gear I needed at the shop. Could have had new ones cut but I lucked out.
NEVER stalls as its gear drive.

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I've been thinking of having them geared but I am pretty amateur at machining. I got a small set (picked up scrap metal around the shop) done with some horizontal knurling. Looks like that gives them really good bite. I might consider adding sprockets to the shaft to gear it, but for now I'll start simple and try to get better rollers as time goes.

My next hurdle is the adjustment. I see now now Yuri did it, and I think that's how most went with. Whats your method?

Thanks again for the info!

Back