Measuring out my own corn sugar for priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Up until now I've only used ingredient kits that came with pre-measured priming sugar. Now i'm following a recipe book that lists the amount of sugar to use in terms of cups.

the recipe I'm following now (Saison) says 1 cup corn sugar, which is weird because everything I've read up til now says to use 3/4 cup corn sugar.

Do I need to worry about creating bottle bombs if I go up to 1 cup? I've read other posts that says what really matters is weight... How can I find out how much weight to use if my recipe just says 3/4 cup?

I used this caluclator here, and it seems to say I should only use 3.5 ounces but that seems really light considering most of the kits I've used have had more that that I think: TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator

Anyway, any guidelines?

BeerSmith says for 2.6 volumes (in style for a saison is 2.3 - 2.9) @ 70* to use 4.73 oz for 5 gallons.

Back