Good day overall but had some errors.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Well today I got a lot done but made some errors while bottling that I am hoping I can get some input on.

First of all I built a CFC based on Cheyco's design and it works perfectly, getting that much closer to an entire AG setup. All I have left is to pickup a pot for an HLT and a spigot for it.

Second of all I found a completely mint Sanyo 4912M on craigslist for 110$, kegerator here I come! Went and picked that up today and all is working great. After the meticulous bottling I had to go through today I can say that I that much more motivated to get this thing up and going.

Third of all I bottled up my first AG brew today, a Simcoe Pale Ale. Went from 1.057 to 1.013 and finished right at about 5.9% ABV. The sample tasted really good.

First error:

Made a couple of errors bottling, forgot to add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket before siphoning. Had to add it post siphon to the bucket and SLOWLY stir it in attempting to not oxidize the beer. Anyone know if this will turn out ok? I used a boiled water/dextrose mix that was completely liquid before adding to the bottling bucket. I am hoping to have at least a decent carbonation average across the bottles but I guess time will tell or a bottle bomb... Anyone have an input on that, think it'll turn out ok?

Second error:

It seems as though the internal seal on the racking wand in my auto siphon may have broken the seal and introduced air during the siphon. Siphon started out good but about half way through the siphon started to burp or "chatter" sucking up air. The only place it could have come in is from the internal seal on the end of the racking wand. Again hopefully I didn't oxidize the beer that much. After about 10 seconds of it doing that and me attempting to fix it I went ahead and pulled the siphon out and started the siphon once again and it went fine.

-Curtis

everything will work out perfect. i have had worse than that and everything turned out fine.

as a matter of fact that is nothing to some of the things that I have done between my friends brews and my own.

We always get wasted while brewing if that makes you feel any better.

First error: I always give the bottling bucket a gentle stir after I rack the beer on top of the priming sugar. Emphasize the gentle.

Second error: My racking cane sports some electrical tape to make sure the seal stays sealed. Been there, done that. It ain't pretty but it works.

Back