Yeast suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
I'm about to do an Ag 5.5 gal batch English Barleywine OG 1.106 and try to achieve FG around 1.022. Planning on a 1500ml starter on a stir plate .... and not sure on the yeast. Thinking wlp028, but I dont think it will make that low. Otherwise it will probably end up being wlp001. Will accept any suggestions.. THanks Ryno oh the IBU's are around 70

WLP028 is a good choice for a barleywine, nice malty ferment. What you could do is give it two weeks in the primary, rack it and re-pitch with Nottingham to dry it out.

If you are planning on doing it within the next month or so you can still get Wyeast 9093. It is one of their limited edition strains but sounds excellent for a barleywine:
Wyeast said:
Imperial Blend - This unique blend of strains is designed to ferment higher gravity worts used in producing any style of Imperial beer. The results will be a rich, malty, full bodied beer with notes of citrus and fruity esters. Even with a high starting gravity your Imperials will have a relatively dry finish.

I ordered 2 packs of the Wyeast 9093.....sounds interesting. I hope it doesnt dry it out too much though. Do you think I should use my stir plate with both vials and do a 1500ml starter or just use one vial?

Latest posts

Back