WTF Happened To BTV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
donosborn said:
I sound like a pothead? What does that even mean... dude?! I have never heard that before. Not a beer guy? Jeebus you must have not watched many of my vids, which is fine. I'm obviously a beer guy!

Just because someone supports a cause doesn't mean they embrace that cause for themselves. I have a "Vote NO" sign in my yard (supporting the right of gays to marry) but that doesn't make me gay.

I'll tell you what I am, a homebrewer and beer lover who thinks pot and gay marriage should be legal. So there! :)

cheers,
Don

Stick it to him! People on here sometimes need to go back to what our parents (or at least mine) said "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!"

I enjoy your videos immensely. You prove you don't need a garage full of fancy **** to make great beer.

Keep up the vids Don and Chip.

So this popped up in my Facebook feed from Northern Brewer:

Brewing TV: It’s Baaaaack…

Fire up your burners and prepare for re-entry, brewers! In 2013, Northern Brewer will relaunch Brewing TV in a brand new format featuring our extended family of expert brewmasters , an array of guest hosts…and YOU!

Because the only thing brewers love as much as brewing is talking about brewing…sharing knowledge, passing along tried and true techniques, and finding that common ground that brings all brewers together. Brewing TV was created to give home brewers a chance to keep that conversation going. And that’s why we’re committed to supporting and expanding BrewingTV in 2013.

Brewing TV will release at least 10 new episodes in 2013, roughly every month, plus several bonus seasonal specials throughout the year. We’ll be tapping our own ranks of Brewmasters so you’ll be meeting a variety of new hosts, in addition to special guest
hosts.

Best of all, we’re rebooting Brewing TV to feature more of YOU. Have an idea for an episode? Send it in. Want to share your own brew day highlights (or bloopers)? Grab your video camera and DIY.

We can’t promise that all viewer submissions will make the air. But in the true spirit of homebrewing, the best will rise to the top and be shared on Brewing TV for the enjoyment of all.

New episodes begin this spring. Watch the boards, tweets and shipments closely for clues. We’ll be planting hints and teasers in the weeks before each show airs, to give the BTV community a sneak peak at what’s in the works. Community is what you make it. Northern Brewer is committed to making the brew community the best it can be, by continuing to bring you the amazing production
values, content and brew personalities that make Brewing TV great.

So tune in, join in, and get brewin’ in 2013 with Brewing TV.

I'm skeptical, but hopefully it turns out well.

I saw the same thing as well, not only am I skeptical I'm bothered they would attempt to do this. It's like having a your favorite band change the front man and hoping you don't notice it's not the same.

IMO they should just call it NorthernBrewerTV and leave Brewing TV alone. It will forever be Mike, Jake, and Chip and no one else. But hey looks like they own it so let them bastardize something that was great. Oh well.

Yea, I really want it to be good just for the fact that we could use another good outlet of brewing knowledge.

What I'm scared it's going to be is a bunch of product plugs and essentially a giant Northern Brewer commercial. TBD.

Speaking of facebook posts, if y'all aren't following Chip's Chop and Brew page, you should be:

ChopAndBrew said:
Episode 01 "Two Reds are Better Than One" is just about finished in editing. Hoping to have it up by next Friday. Then onto the bacon!

As in 3 days, if all goes to Chip's plan!

aygov said:

I won't watch it without Dawson, Keeler, and Chip. Down with Northern Brewer I say!

I will say i feel stupid for spending lots of $$ there over the holidays. I stayed with northern after they did away with the flat rate shipping and the prices went up. I felt like supporting BTV was a worth wile thing. then finding this out in the new year makes me feel used. well my LHBS has my buisnes now. i hope the three amigos are moving onto bigger and better things. as for the "NewBTV" ill give it a chance but like most bands that swap out leaders, its never going to be the same.

I will say i feel stupid for spending lots of $$ there over the holidays. I stayed with northern after they did away with the flat rate shipping and the prices went up. I felt like supporting BTV was a worth wile thing. then finding this out in the new year makes me feel used. well my LHBS has my buisnes now. i hope the three amigos are moving onto bigger and better things. as for the "NewBTV" ill give it a chance but like most bands that swap out leaders, its never going to be the same.

I agree that it won't be the same, so I hope they don't try to make it the same. Maybe they will come up with something unique that will inspire us all.

I will say i feel stupid for spending lots of $$ there over the holidays. I stayed with northern after they did away with the flat rate shipping and the prices went up. I felt like supporting BTV was a worth wile thing. then finding this out in the new year makes me feel used. well my LHBS has my buisnes now.

I don't get it? Why do you feel "used" by NB? Because those 3 guys left?

stuck with paying higher prices because it was "supporting Brewing TV" they did away with there flat rate shipping and i could have just moved onto a different online company that has better prices and cheaper shipping. but since they had a large campaign out about how brewing TV was being supported by NB≥ "I know our prices are higher but... were putting out this show" id say they conveniently decided not to inform the public that the show was over.

stuck with paying higher prices because it was "supporting Brewing TV" they did away with there flat rate shipping and i could have just moved onto a different online company that has better prices and cheaper shipping. but since they had a large campaign out about how brewing TV was being supported by NB≥ "I know our prices are higher but... were putting out this show" id say they conveniently decided not to inform the public that the show was over.

The show has been over for months. If you were such a supporter, you should have noticed that they've released none since Oct. Last episode with Keeler and Dawson was in July, then nothing until a few episodes in Sept and Oct with Chip and guests. Also, both the end of BTV and the purchase of NB by an Ohio (?) based firm are a matter of public record and this thread alone has been up for 5+ months. Don't blame NB because you feel that you payed too much for their products, that was solely your own decision.

Wow. I love how people just love to hop on these forums and declare there intellectual superiority.

Sir you are correct Had I had been trolling the Internet looking for evidence on why there were no BTV episodes I would have no doubt come across something. I however have better things to do with my time. And when I placed an order with NB on January 7th 2013 and in the comments inquire about BTV to which they responded and I quote:

Jason,

Regarding Brewing TV, the holiday season was extremely busy for us, but we will hopefully have another episode sometime soon.

Cheers,

Dan
Northern Brewer, LLC

They could have just as easily admitted that Jake, Michael & Chip were no longer with the company and they were working on a new plan. But they chose to put a different story out and that is why I feel cheated.

If I make the effort to get an answer and am lied too or they choose the version of the truth they want to tell its not my fault for not looking for a 5 month old thread in the general discussion section of the forums.

I agree that anyone that bought things from NB over the winter cannot claim they did it in support of brewing tv.

Edit: my original post was being written before the latest responds. Seems you got mislead. Sorry bro

The show has been over for months. If you were such a supporter, you should have noticed that they've released none since Oct. Last episode with Keeler and Dawson was in July, then nothing until a few episodes in Sept and Oct with Chip and guests. Also, both the end of BTV and the purchase of NB by an Ohio (?) based firm are a matter of public record and this thread alone has been up for 5+ months. Don't blame NB because you feel that you payed too much for their products, that was solely your own decision.

Wow. I love how people just love to hop on these forums and declare there intellectual superiority.

Sir you are correct Had I had been trolling the Internet looking for evidence on why there were no BTV episodes I would have no doubt come across something. I however have better things to do with my time.

Wow, that's what you inferred from my post? :smack: Well played, you....

And when I placed an order with NB on January 7th 2013 and in the comments inquire about BTV to which they responded and I quote:

Jason,

Regarding Brewing TV, the holiday season was extremely busy for us, but we will hopefully have another episode sometime soon.

Cheers,

Dan
Northern Brewer, LLC

They could have just as easily admitted that Jake, Michael & Chip were no longer with the company and they were working on a new plan. But they chose to put a different story out and that is why I feel cheated.

If I make the effort to get an answer and am lied too or they choose the version of the truth they want to tell its not my fault for not looking for a 5 month old thread in the general discussion section of the forums.

As for why they didn't tell you anything, everyone involved has been hush hush about what happened. None of the three will say anything other than to confirm that they left, despite being asked over and over. Apparently, NB is being just as secretive. I would suspect that there was an agreement of sorts to not talk publicly about what happened.

Also, you weren't lied to, they gave you an answer to a question about why they hadn't done new episodes. Did you ask them about Dawson, Keeler, Chip, DonO, Byron A and others? Did you read this thread where two of those guys chimed in and told you all you're going to find out about this? No and no. Sorry if you don't have time to follow the things you claim to support, or "troll" the internet for information, but that's not mine or anyone else's problem, man.

Sir you are correct Had I had been trolling the Internet looking for evidence on why there were no BTV episodes I would have no doubt come across something. I however have better things to do with my time. And when I placed an order with NB on January 7th 2013 and in the comments inquire about BTV to which they responded and I quote:
No need to be a tool about it. All of our time is valuable and we all have better things to do than listen to whiners.

I see nothing misleading about their reply. It'd be completely inappropriate for them to bring up specific personnel issues.

NB provides terrific value. Maybe not the best prices on every item, but very competitive. Also outstanding customer service, so if you really feel cheated I'd suggest calling them up and talking to them about it. Or just let it go.

Wow, this is getting out of hand....

I say good job Northern Brewer for running a successful business and for attempting to appease everyone which obviously is impossible. But, people wanted Brewing TV back so now it's back. Different but back, I'm ready and hoping it succeeds.

This is getting WAY out of hand. I was referring to being told one thing and the truth being another. You can't tell me that when that happens to you in life your not pissed.

Business as in life deserves honesty. When you don't get that you feel cheated as well. When you find out a company was not honest to you do you feel like returning to them do business?

Sorry if I sound like I'm whining but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

This is getting WAY out of hand. I was referring to being told one thing and the truth being another. You can't tell me that when that happens to you in life your not pissed.

Business as in life deserves honesty. When you don't get that you feel cheated as well. When you find out a company was not honest to you do you feel like returning to them do business?

Sorry if I sound like I'm whining but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of NB and it's a bummer to feel cheated. Totally hear you on that. I think a few of us are just failing to see how you feel cheated here. It appears to me they were honest and appropriate with you.

I can see how he can feel cheated, even if it wasn't intentional.

If you have no clue what happened and they say they just been busy then yes I would feel cheated too.

I wouldn't say they lied to you. I assume you asked them about the lack of episodes and you got told that more would be on the way. Should they have volunteered the fact that the format and staff of the entire show has changed? That's their call and I doubt most other places would want to get into a discussion on personnel issues like this with their customers.

I started buying from NB due to BTV and tbh the changes in BTV aren't going to make me stop buying from them. People leave places all the time and from the looks of it Keeler, Dawson, and Chip have come out of this fine.

Just watched the first ep of chop n brew. I subscribed even though you put coriander in beer (which is bad enough) but calling it an Irish Red?!? Pog mo thon!

Is C n B available on podcast?

I'm late getting to it, but hope to have it iTunes soon. I'll retro-stack the episodes. However, I likely won't post Lagniappes, shorting tasting notes, etc... so you'll want to keep up with the FB page and YouTube channel as well. Still thinking about that, though. Thoughts?

I'm late getting to it, but hope to have it iTunes soon. I'll retro-stack the episodes. However, I likely won't post Lagniappes, shorting tasting notes, etc... so you'll want to keep up with the FB page and YouTube channel as well. Still thinking about that, though. Thoughts?

Personally I think you got enough sources as it is. YouTube money!

New episode of Chop & Brew online now... Episode 04: Washing Yeast with Don O. Don Osborn's in the house!
http://chopandbrew.com/2013/03/30/chop-brew-episode-04-washing-yeast-with-don-o/

Chip, I am just finding out today that I will not enjoy my guilty pleasure of watching BrewTV when my satellite internet allows for it. I have been working my way through each episode in between two kids and running a ranch. You guys were my guilty pleasure as I stumbled upon you guys one night on you tube. Good luck with the new adventure. The last video I watch was you and your lady chomping on some hop sprouts. Keep it coming and keep us posted. BrewTV is dead to me.:(

Chip, I am just finding out today that I will not enjoy my guilty pleasure of watching BrewTV when my satellite internet allows for it. I have been working my way through each episode in between two kids and running a ranch. You guys were my guilty pleasure as I stumbled upon you guys one night on you tube. Good luck with the new adventure. The last video I watch was you and your lady chomping on some hop sprouts. Keep it coming and keep us posted. BrewTV is dead to me.:(

It's all good. Life goes on and Chop & Brew has some pretty awesome momentum at the moment. This Friday, I'm planning to drop Episode 10 featuring Wyeast Brand Manager Michael Dawson. Whoop!

It's all good. Life goes on and Chop & Brew has some pretty awesome momentum at the moment. This Friday, I'm planning to drop Episode 10 featuring Wyeast Brand Manager Michael Dawson. Whoop!

Don't stop. Just made it through your yeast washing video while I was drinking a couple different american hefe's I just brewed. Yeast was over a year expired and well over a year in the fridge post wash and seems to be cleaning up nicely still. Also wanted to toss out the 311 day episode. I use to love them too! Was working as a medic about 6 years ago in Fresno and got paid to stand by for Something Corporate and 311 and all those years later it was still good. Plus I got "PAID" to enjoy it so sick. Keep up the good work man. I am subscribed and quickly catching up.

Back