Primary to Secondary Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuenro02

Reaction score
Quick question... Can I just dump my beer from my primary to my secondary or do I have to syphon? If I use a filter and try not to dump my cake from the primary into the secondary will it be ok?

You need to siphon. The problem with dumping, especially through a filter or strainer, is the risk of oxidation.

You need to siphon. The problem with dumping, especially through a filter or strainer, is the risk of oxidation.

This. The less splashing you can make, the better. Transfering already exposes the beer slightly to oxygen. If you splash, you increase this by quite a bit. Oxidation = off flavors and faster spoilage.

Quick question... Can I just dump my beer from my primary to my secondary or do I have to syphon? If I use a filter and try not to dump my cake from the primary into the secondary will it be ok?

Why transfer to a secondary? Are you adding something like fruit?

It says to in the directions because I'll be dry hoping. I've also read because it helps with clarity and overall quality of your beer?

It says to in the directions because I'll be dry hoping. I've also read because it helps with clarity and overall quality of your beer?

Current theory is that secondaries are not necessary, with a few exceptions. You can dry hop just fine in primary. The IPA I am drinking now was dry hopped for 1 week in primary, tastes great and is clear ( thank you whirlfloc).

Figure I would ask this question in here rather than start another thread, opefully this isn't a thread hi-jack.

I am going to transfer to secondary in about 2 weeks to dry hop for an IPA kit I have fermenting. when I transfer, do I need to make sure I get some of the yeast transferred as well or will there be enough in suspension?

There'll be enough yeast in suspension for a one week dry hop. I've done the same thing when racking to the bottling bucket. Clear or slightly misty is cool. As long as a stable FG is had 1st.

Back